This ELOG Thread

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by tucker, Jun 26, 2017.

1. win-some-loose-less

win-some-loose-less Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Mount Vernon tx
    Guess I'm a negative nancy, I dont see rates increasing, I see more freight on the rail, more small operations running team, shippers and receivers won't change they way they do buisness, the industy will have to adapt, the megas will finally get the upper hand they been lobbying for, I actually see the roads getting more dangerous with everyone rushing around racing that 14hr clock that the elog keeps ticking no matter what. Thought about messing with the safety man here and telling him I bet him $100 bill when the fleet is fully switched to elogs the fleet accident number will rise but thought against it. Lol And good luck finding parking anywhere, all them trucks parked on off ramps for a few hours running paper will now be at the truck stop, nobody wants to take 10hrs on a offramp,

x1Heavy and dirthaller Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    I turned her off as soon as she started using the owner operator model "small businessman" . Same as "Family farmer". Are these 2 entities so sacred they don't have to obey the law? And the HOS regulations, while not perfect have prevented wholesale abuse of drivers since their inception.
    I have said it before. Imagine a world with no HOS regulations. Where it would be routine procedure to ask or require drivers to drive until the are exhausted. It has been happening since 1935 and it still does.
    No thanks.

x1Heavy and tucker Thank this.
  5. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

I'm waiting for the first mega to use their eLog data to stick it to a shipper for detention.

"You know Bob, last quarter we had 15,000 hours of uncompensated detention at Ajax Inc. We send our trucks in on time, and they take an average of 3.79 hours to load/unload them. If we could monetize that, we'd see an annual return of $250k."

Once one sheep does it, the rest will follow. And it will be glorious.

6. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Shipper will just tell that carrier to pound sand- IF everyone follows (Which I hope they do,But don't count on it)

Shippers will just resort back to having their own trucks like years past- Cheaper to load a dropped trailer of their own- As opposed to paying a quarter million dollars a year to their outside carrier insisting on detention......

I think it needs to go back to wehen manufacturers and warehouse logistics had their own trucks......

Coover and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

Yeah but that takes time, and they're going to be subject to the same regulations we are. (If they haven't done that in years, they're going to be in for a rude awakening)

Plus it's not like there's a huge pool of drivers to pull from. Amazon started their own fleet but not every company has the funds to buy their own trucks.

(Also, if they are carrying their own product, they will only make money one way, not everyone is set up for a backhaul.)

8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Actually we do. Both e-log to the minute and a GPS geo-fence we can prove within 1/10th a mile of where the truck is. It's required information when getting detention from the customer.

Dieselboss and Infosaur Thank this.
  9. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    I've been reading up on this crash, OOIDA put this article in their Landline Magazine in the same issue that is devoted to showing how bad elogs are and how elogs cause drivers to drive when they're tired. A really dumb move I think, unless they secretly want elogs.

Analysis: Blaming sleep apnea for California crash appears questionable

Analysis: Blaming sleep apnea for California crash appears questionable
    By Mark Schremmer, Land Line staff writer | Wednesday, November 01, 2017

The National Transportation Safety Board issued a news release on Monday, Oct. 31, announcing it had determined sleep apnea played a role in a 2016 fatality crash involving a tractor-trailer and a motor coach that occurred near Palm Springs, Calif.

Soon after, publications like The Hill posted such headlines as “Undiagnosed sleep apnea a factor in deadly California bus crash.” It’s the type of headline that gets a reader’s attention and fits in nicely with an agenda that has several lawmakers calling for a mandate requiring truck drivers to undergo a sleep study.

However, a review of the NTSB investigation revealed that there was much more to this crash, and the investigators’ claims that the truck driver suffered from undiagnosed sleep apnea appear to be based on assumption alone.

According to the NTSB, a motor coach ran into the rear of a stopped tractor-trailer at 5:16 a.m. Oct. 23, 2016, in the westbound lanes of Interstate 10 outside Palm Springs. The crash resulted in the death of the bus driver and 12 of his passengers. The truck driver and 30 passengers were injured.

The truck and other traffic had been stopped on the highway by police for utility work. When traffic resumed, the truck did not move. The motor coach struck the rear of the truck two minutes later, intruding about 13 feet into the trailer and pushing the combination 71 feet forward.

The NTSB determined the probable cause of the crash was Caltrans’ inadequate transportation management plan. This resulted in a hazardous situation in which law enforcement did not detect the truck’s lack of movement following the traffic break and did not provide any advance warning to the bus driver of the potential for stopped traffic ahead. The board also determined the truck driver did not resume driving after the traffic stoppage because he “most likely” fell asleep because of fatigue, they claim, related to his undiagnosed moderate-to-severe obstructive sleep apnea.

However, the synopsis of the NTSB report indicates that claims saying the truck driver suffered from undiagnosed sleep apnea appear to be based on the driver’s weight and not actual testing.

“Based on the evidence that the truck driver did not move his vehicle for more than two minutes after the traffic break ended and his reported belief that the break had lasted about four times its actual length, he was most likely asleep at the time of the crash, due to fatigue that, given his extremely high level of obesity, probably resulted from undiagnosed and untreated moderate-to-severe obstructive sleep apnea,” the report said.

Attempts to reach someone at the NTSB regarding the investigation and whether or not the truck driver has ever been diagnosed with sleep apnea were unsuccessful Wednesday.

While the release included the words “sleep apnea” in the headline, the synopsis of the investigation detailed several other factors involved in the crash.

The NTSB cited a failed traffic management plan as being a contributing factor.

“In its process for approving permits for temporary traffic breaks, the California Department of Transportation did not require the law enforcement use advance warning devices when conducting the breaks,” the report said. “Such devices could have adjusted the bus driver’s expectations regarding potential traffic stoppage. Moreover, had additional law enforcement vehicles been used to conduct the break, the officers could have monitored the movement of the westbound traffic after the break ended and possibly realized that the stopped truck did not resume operation; they could have then alerted the diver to rejoin traffic.”

The report also said the truck driver had violated hours-of-service regulations for several days prior to the crash and that the bus driver had slept four hours or less in the day-and-a-half leading up to the crash. However, the NTSB news release didn’t mention the hours-of-service violation or the bus driver’s lack of sleep as being contributing factors to their potential fatigue. Instead, the news release referenced the truck driver’s undiagnosed sleep apnea and the bus driver’s untreated diabetes.

Sleep apnea, specifically, has been a hot topic in the trucking industry. Recently, Sen. Cory Booker, D-N.J., introduced a bill that would force the U.S. Department of Transportation to push through a final rule to require testing of sleep apnea for truck drivers and railroad workers.

In March 2016, the FMCSA and Federal Railroad Administration released an advance notice of proposed rulemaking to gather information to determine if a sleep apnea testing mandate was necessary. The FMCSA released a report in July that said the agency “has determined there is not enough information available to support moving forward with a rulemaking action, and so the rulemaking will be withdrawn.” The withdrawal was made official in August.

Proponents of Booker’s bill cited NTSB statistics that sleep apnea had been listed as the probable cause in 10 highway and rail crashes in the past 17 years. Only two of those 10 crashes – one in 2000 and one in 2009 – involved a heavy-duty truck. The addition of the California crash would increase the total of heavy-duty fatality truck crashes blamed on sleep apnea to three over a span of nearly 20 years.

Forcing a mandate based on an extremely limited number of crashes is concerning. Knowing it’s questionable to call sleep apnea the culprit in at least one of the three crashes increases those concerns.

The NTSB’s final report on the California crash is expected to be released in the next several days.

I-Team investigates 2016 deadly tour bus crash

http://www.kesq.com/news/truck-driv...-with-deadly-palm-springs-bus-crash/641665584

[​IMG]

All the paper loggers have been saying that they are safer because they can stop and nap anytime they want and then create a log page at the end of the day showing they are HOS legal.
    But this driver fell asleep in the second lane and 13 people died because he was driving almost nonstop .

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Plus in that issue is a big story about how a certain group of people known for cutting a hole in their floorboard so they don't have to stop to use the restroom. Well, they're against elogs too.
    They probably ran out of hours 10 minutes from home and had to break at the truckstop in their hometown.

x1Heavy and bzinger Thank this.
  11. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Dispatchers that are on they're game = elogs no big deal and just another day .
    Rates are thru the roof on reefer and van freight so ok with me .
    Rate cutters are only ones mad in my segment ..good riddence !

x1Heavy and tucker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.