This is bad (drained diff fluid)

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Gumper, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    Was going to change my diff fluid, and did the RR first. Pulled my drain plug, and knew immediately I was screwed. Disregard the mess on the drain pan, it’s just the two plugs and magnets that I held under the oil as it drained. I’m guessing that’s bearing shavings. I can see the ring gear with my camera, and it doesn’t look bad. The oil wasn’t burned (oh god I know that smell), and there wasn’t much floating in the oil pan. But I’m pretty sure the magnets tell the story. Has the consistency of anti seize, with fine metal particles.
    5DA061FE-FE0E-4C0C-BFEC-E9547C223AFB.jpeg

jamespmack Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    How many miles on those rears and was the oil original.

I would not be too freaked out by that.

There' is always that mud looking crap on the plugs if the oil has got lots
    miles.

As long as there is no chunks or hard slivers run it. Anti seize looking mud is completely normal.

Oxbow, jamespmack, bzinger and 5 others Thank this.
  4. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    What swann said. That's just normal wear i would expect out of a half million miles.

Oxbow, jamespmack and Roberts450 Thank this.
  5. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    Not so fast. Unless you have hard parts on it. The shavings can be normal wear, and long time since its been changed. When you have a thrust washer with a eaton part number on it, or a gear tooth or a bearing cage, you have a problem. When you pm your truck and check boxes wipe the plug off everytime. This way you know if its failing fast. Put new oil in it and run it. Pull axle shafts and drain hubs while your at it. Now as you run it watch for leaking seals. A seal happens, but multiple seals or a seal right after changing you have a problem. Check input, and out put shaft movement up and down. All so allways check to make sure the vent is open. I have see worse run a long time. A past owner may have never wipe the normal wear shavings off and it built up over time.

Oxbow and Justrucking2 Thank this.
  6. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    To add to the above, pull the vents and clean them out. Just soak in diesel fuel or parts cleaner while you are doing the rest then blow it out. Make sure its not plugged up. Literally put your lips on it and blow.

7. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    We have much worse coming out our bodies at that many miles, its when chunks start showing you worry.

Oxbow, Gumper and spyder7723 Thank this.
  8. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    Who knows when it was changed last. There were no large pieces that came out. I know that since I had a strainer held under the plug while it drained.

Oxbow and jamespmack Thank this.
  9. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    That surpingly makes me feel better.

Oxbow and jamespmack Thank this.
  10. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    Normal wear. Fill and ride !!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.