this is for the old timer's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by aztrucker11, Feb 12, 2011.

1. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I know that we have always had thieves with us. There seems to be those who think that they can take what they want just because they want it. I am not nearly as trusting these days. During the last couple of years I have had fuel stolen, 4 batteries with wiring harness and 1 tire chain. That doesn't include what a few drivers have stolen off my trucks. Several years ago, I stopped at a small fuel stop in Watertown, NY. While I was inside someone stole a spare tire I had underneath my trailer. There was a tire shop or garage next door. Of course, noone saw anything.

Since I have had fuel stolen a couple of times, I make sure that my tanks are low anytime that I park unless I am in the truck. I got hit about 10 years ago for about 100 gallons of diesel in Phoenix. I got hit again about 2 years ago for about 150 gallons. The last time fuel was about $5/gallon. After that, I try to make sure my tanks are low. If they hit my trucks again, at least they won't get much fuel.

The sad part is that it is most likely other drivers or owner operators who are stealing fuel and some other things. They are not businessmen and cannot stay afloat without stealing from those who are making it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L

These guys are weak....Truckin' ain't for the weak!

Injun and volvodriver01 Thank this.
  4. Nevs

Nevs Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2010
    flyover country (Iowa)
    I used to load in Bend, Oregon years ago when I flatbedded. Always stopped at Jakes Truck Stop. Haven't been through there in years, as I understand it, it's no longer there. Too bad, had a great breakfast.

Oldironfan, UTurn55 and trucker_101 Thank this.
  5. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
  6. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
  7. rambler

rambler Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Sorry Gman but Loves sits exactly where the Virginian once was. Across the street at what is currently the Wilco there used to be an old house that was converted into a truck stop/ convenience store.. it was called Aunt M's. Was an actual house with the walls inside still intact and different rooms in it. Another place that comes to mind was on route 100 out of Hillsville, Va. Before I-77 was finished you had to run 52 and then if you were going to be going N on 11 or 81 you would take 58E out of town and then left on 100 and it was on the left..sold everything from food to ahh err ahem cough....cats. The high speed chicken feed was sold in the old paper quarter tubes that held $10 in quarters...a dozen red and blacks, yellow jackets, or black rjs's for $10, your choice....(disclaimer) not that I ever bought any mind you. It was the kind that would make your hair itch..I'm told LOL. Another place was in Deepwater,NJ called Don's Deepwater Truckstop. Don and his brother owned it. It had a little diner and they fixed flats too...real good place though small. As typical of most truckstops in that era they fueled the truck, cleaned windshiel, headlights, tail lights, checked the tires and would park it if you wanted to hit the diner and be having your dinner. There were so many great places that are long gone now. Good thread.

8. rjones56

rjones56 Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2008
    staunton va
    Actually the Virginian sat where the Loves is now.Forget what used to be where the Wilco is now but remember they had a huge light selection and lots of smaller chrome goodies.

Blue jeans and aztrucker11 Thank this.
  9. aztrucker11

aztrucker11 Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2011
    surprise,az
    thanks rambler i try to post good ones. i have a few more out there

chalupa Thanks this.
  10. rjones56

rjones56 Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2008
    staunton va
    What was the name of the one in Cookeville,Tn. that gave free truck wash with fuel?
    Another one of my favorite restuarants was the D&M Diner in rainelle,WV.

11. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    It's been along time since I've been there but half way up Cajon Pass in CA was a stop where everybody stopped to cool their truck. I remember a clear box on the wall near the door that had a sigh over it saying "Here's $20 if you need it and just repay it when you can". I asked my Dad about it and he told me the owner said it's only been not repaid once in many years. They had great food and as far as I know it may still be there but I have my doubts.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.