this is for the old timer's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by aztrucker11, Feb 12, 2011.

1. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Ok I know I'm old and gettin forgetful--LOL--I keep wanting to call it the Wagon Wheel--but I don't think that was the name--where the petro sits at the intersection of 287&30 in Laramie--oops I mean 80 now--but back before some idiot decided it would be a good idea to put an Interstate over elk mountain--great food and very friendly--anyone remember the name?

Oldironfan and stiffride Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. krash13ss

krash13ss Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2008
    shady point ok.
    You could be right but I thought it was on other side of interstate and called hitching post. I remember watching the superbowl at the wyo truck stop in cheyenne where the ta is now.It was 49ers and bengals and snowing hard.$5 bought you a 60 oz. drink you made yourself.

4. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    The Husky at I-90 and Broadway in Spokane WA, They would fuel it, wash the windows, park it and after eating give you the keys back when you paid the fuel bill.
    We would stop at the GTX Truckstop in Greenacres WA, just east of Spokane, Gene and his wife were good people. He gave away an entire trailer of coke a cola 2 - 3 cans at a time. He had his truck parked at the truckstop, a COE KW with an Allis Chlamers engine.

There was a dining car turned into a restaurant in Forsyth MT had a sign that stated, Capacity 10,000 9 at a time.

5. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    I miss Jonnie's in NJ. It was never much, but it had a decent restaurant, and a bunch of drivers from the company I was leased to would gather around and jabber jaw for a while. Louise's (Clinton Truck Stop) is still down the road and gives me the nostalgia a Pilot with a Subway could never dream of.

Dysart's in ME is still there and is pretty nice with good local food.

It seems lately that almost every small truckstop I used to go to has turned into a Pilot.

6. gravelhauler

gravelhauler Medium Load Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Lake Charles, La
    I'm not a old timer but I'd like to suggest some great mom and pop truck stop in Louisiana. The Longhorn I-10 exit 4. 8 bucks off anything on the menu with 100 gallons of fuel and the showers are always free. Kings travel plaza I-10 exit 43. 5 bucks off in the store or restuarant with 100 gallons. The lady that works the fuel desk during the day goes by Gabby and is as nice as they come. The Frog City travel plaza I-10 exit 87. 7.99 off your meal with 100 gallons of fuel. They have a REAL cajun restuarant with some great food. I make it a point to utilize the mom and pop places that are still open. You do not and will never get their kind of service in a major chain truck stop. Heck I still stay at the Key at exit 785 in Channelview when have to stay around Houston. Don't buy more than a coke and a can of snuff out of the store but I just refuse to give in to those big corporate chains. I have been forced to use them when I'm in a bind but if I have a choice I don't.

7. sundowntransport

sundowntransport Bobtail Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Poteau, Oklahoma
    I've always liked the Tucson Truck Terminal in Tucson AZ. There's a good little truckstop off I-70 in Cloverdale Indiana that always has parking and is a good place.

8. stiffride

stiffride Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Holiday, FL
    I found a cool old redneck joint with a 4.00 hamburger and fries. All you can eat catfish on Friday and Saturday. It's called the 45 South truck stop and the Jake Break Cafe in Corinth, MS just south of town on the west side of the road. Food is cheap people are clean and country, along with any amount of fuel showers and 1.50 w/d. Spent 3 days there got to know the owner too he is there every day all day...

9. Caitlin Wood

Caitlin Wood Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2011
    mitchigan
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beer Runner
    I hope you understand that thieves have been around long before 9/11. You just got lucky is all.

this is really true...

10. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    How about The hitching post out in Hesperia Ca? or the dinosoar resturant on I10 Cabazon ca? Pharo's on I81 in Shippensberg Pa. The Pompano Beach Fla farmers market. The mexican rest. on I35 exit 85 Dilley TX. Louises I78 exit 13 Clinton NJ.
    Dinner Bell I75 exit 62 Sweetwater TN.
    There is a whole bunch more I know of.

Oldironfan and puncher Thank this.
  11. puncher

puncher Medium Load Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Tn.
    We both stop at alot of the same places, and I agree with you although I haven't stopped at the mexican resturant yet. Thanks

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.