This is ridiculous!!!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by arpokor, Aug 26, 2008.

1. leannamarie

leannamarie "California Girl"

If he is only 22 also, it can be hard to find a job. But the companies know his age when they are bringing him in for orientation. Many companies cannot hire under 23 or under 25 for insurance reasons. The insurance companies run the show.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hometime

Hometime Light Load Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Southeast
    If he has nothing on his record and only one speeding ticket a few years ago than keep looking. If he will be upfront and honest with each one he talks to he will find a home. :yes2557:

Hang in there. Talk about all of it together and don't give up if this is what both of you want. For every company out there that says no.....there is another one waiting to say YES regardless of his age.

I'm going to bet that someone on these boards will point you two in the right direction for a company to give a call. :biggrin_25525: Keep us posted and Good Luck!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
    Cybergal Thanks this.
  4. MGASSEL

MGASSEL Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Co
    Company's have a certian age requirement you have to be before they can hire you. Mabey the recuriter made a mistake when they scheduled him for orentation thought he was older than he actually was.

As for a being dismissed for getting a 70% on a test what kind of test was it?
    I have never heard of a company dismissing a student for getting a 70% on a test.

If it is a CDL permit test that he took at the dmv he could of retaken it. All tests at the dmv you have to score atleast a 80% to pass.
    This is not a regular school where 70% or higher is passing.

If he retook the dmv test a few times and still failed I could understand them sending him home.
    They can not hold back the others that have passed their test just for one or two students.
    It does cost the company money and time to shuttle the students to and from the dmv.

My advice if he has not already is to study hard before he takes the test and I would go to the local dmv get a cdl manual study it cover to cover then go and take all of the written tests they are free in most states it will only cost to get the actual permit.
    He can try to get a WIA grant to pay for his schooling localy. He can find out info on the WIA program at any local workforce center.

5. durrty

durrty Light Load Member

May 10, 2008
    east

i know this isnt funny as it realtes to life ,but the way you decribe him is busting my side:biggrin_255:

6. InMyDreams

InMyDreams Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Kingston, Wa
    during swift's driver training program (cdl school) if you average below 80% for the whole course you're gone. you can reapply for the cost of 750 which goes towards your tuition. during the time you're sucking big time in their school they can place you on academic probation ... if you still cannot do better then ... you get to leave.

7. MGASSEL

MGASSEL Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Co
    I am glad I did not have that problem I belive that my grade point average was 93% at my local trucking school.
    I had a bad day and messed up on one classroom test or it would of been higher.

8. daddybear

daddybear Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2008
    winnie, texas
    I recently went through orientation (3 months ago) with Arrow:biggrin_25510:, and there were 12 new guys right out of school there and on the last day there was only 4 of us left. With alot of trucking companies going under, that leaves alot of experienced drivers out there looking for work, which is going to make it harder for new guys to break into this business. Companies can afford to be picky. That is why, even though I don't like who I work for, I have to suck it up until I get my experience. So when hubby does land a job, he needs to do all he can to hang on to it. That is all I have to say about that, so good luck to you.

9. InMyDreams

InMyDreams Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Kingston, Wa
    yeah, i generally did well in school too ... i'm hoping that swift's cdl school in lewiston is no exception. crossing my fingers.

thankfully dbear, we students have an advantage with the big carriers that the more experienced guys don't: we're cheap as hell. guys will argue with me, but think about it: what makes more financial sense, .26cpm or .41? same truck, same load, same miles. besides, if i'm wrong, how come so many experienced guys are hurting for work while swift runs 35+ people per week per class? of course, most of the wash out ... but you get the point. kinda makes me wonder what we're gonna do when we get some of that experience though, huh? do you say "naw, it's cool, i'll work for less"?

10. stormking

stormking Bobtail Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Ithaca, NY
    I just graduated from School and got word from people that TMC and Stevens both cut half the class at orientation. Stevens took all the young people. These are from friends in orientation.

11. Samantha82580

Samantha82580 Medium Load Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Dahlonega, Georgia
    Swift will allow you to retest 3 times before sending you home.....Hubby termed it as "recycling." Have I read somewhere that Swift will only hire ages 25 and up or is it my imagination running wild again?

Arpokor - Is it possible that your hubby may not have passed the physical for these companies? Not meaning just health problems but strength issues and such? Honestly, besides the age issue, I couldn't see why he wasn't hired. I wish you guys the best!!!

As far as hiring in newbies for cheap, I totally agree. Why pay more for the same load.

The economy being bad right now is the main reason we went with a larger trucking company (Swift). We both lost our jobs due to plant shut down and we were working for the 2nd largest carpet manufactor. Swift might not be the best company but its definitly somewhere to get started until this economy levels out. I'm hearing a lot of drivers are staying put with a larger company these days also.

Tarpitall Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.