This is ridiculous!!!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by arpokor, Aug 26, 2008.

1. TLGken

TLGken Light Load Member

May 18, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    You have to look at this....

Why does a ladder have rungs?

So that you can start at the bottom and climb up! You cannot start at the middle of the ladder then go to the top, you start at the bottom, like trainning pay, like getting the runs that nobody else wants.
    EARN your way UP the ladder! Prove yourself!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. InMyDreams

InMyDreams Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Kingston, Wa
    i hope for my sake you are mistaken. swift is sending me to school and i'm only 23. where did you read this? i'd be interested to see it too.

per some information that i have:

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Swift Driver Requirments[/FONT]

• [*][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Must be at least 21 years of age.

[*][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]You do not need any training.[/FONT]
      [*][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]DUI/DWI must be at least 5 years old.[/FONT]
      [*][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]No more than 3 moving violations with in the last 3 years.[/FONT]
      [*][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]No more than 3 preventable accidents with in the last 3 years.[/FONT]
      [*][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Felonies are case by case.[/FONT]
      [/FONT]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
    Samantha82580 Thanks this.
  4. leannamarie

leannamarie "California Girl"

Prisoner of the Highway used to work for Swift and he is just now 23.

InMyDreams and Samantha82580 Thank this.
  5. Samantha82580

Samantha82580 Medium Load Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Dahlonega, Georgia
    Ok it was just my imagination running wild again. It may have been one of the other companies we had checked into. Thanks for the clarification you guys.

6. crazy35752

crazy35752 Light Load Member

May 23, 2006
    scottsboro,al
    Alot of the big companies get paid by the government to bring people into orientation, thats why they send alot back home every week. Plus you have got ones that dont meet the standards also. Win some lose some

7. bowlwinkle

bowlwinkle Heavy Load Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Ankeny, IA
    A lot of companies do require you to be 23 to do interstate driving, for insurance reasons I'm sure. Good luck

8. IROCUBabe

IROCUBabe Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    All I can say is try Werner, >.> It worked for me, after I and Schneider had a disagreement.

9. Bigarmin88

Bigarmin88 Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Tampa Bay Fl
    Hey TROCU babe,how does werner treat you?I was thinking about going with them but I heard they jip you in miles pay.How your home time like?Is it any good?

10. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    I agree with Mgassel... not that I'm biased or anything...

but when I came to work for May, Downshifting was ... um... not a strong point. In fact, it was easier to push in the clutch and brake to a stop,then work my way up again.

I left a trail of gear teeth and tranny lube for miles and miles... no hiding from the law for me!

I'm better now.

11. Mrs. Bowmare

Mrs. Bowmare Bobtail Member

Apr 6, 2008
    LaGrange, GA
    Arpokor, I feel you girl! I am 26 years old & sent my fiance off to trucking school. The first company sent him home as well - too many newbies. We had to borrow money to get him home! It took 3 weeks to get him into another orientation. We went with Werner, who will pay the CDL school after 1 year of employment. When he left the bank was empty. We took out a title loan to send him back to school.:pale: OMG, I think I had lost my mind.

MTC CDL school runs 3 week "classes". His class started with 27 students. The class before him had such a failure rate that it took my fiance 5 weeks to graduate. He was one of 7 of 27 that made it through!! It is no joke getting a cdl.

At the end of school, he had the "choice" to come home. Our fiances could not get him home & Werner would pay a bus ticket to the terminal. We had no other option. He wnet to orientation the day he got his license. Three days later he was in a cab with a trainer! Long story short, I did not see him for 13 weeks straight. :smt089

Training was just as hard for me as it was for him. Almost all the money he made as a trainie was required to live on. He sent some money back, but each time he did it ment he went without things. We both went without. Wifes, don't expect your hubbies to be able to send money home while training, its unrealistic.

Fifteen weeks from the time he started CDL school, we are expecting our first REAL Truckers paycheck. Starting out without anything is the hardest. I recommend putting money back for the trainie!! We could not. Also, you can't have your cake and eat it too. In order for truckers to make a living, separation is required. Arpoker, you need to remember: You husband is as lonely, if not more so, than you are! You are at home, in your comfort zone. He is in a truck with a stranger, eating who knows what for supper (if he gets any supper), and using public bathrooms for ALL his needs. My fiance sometimes had to go for days with out showering because the load time did not leave enough time to wait for showers. It's a good think he can use the "go" standing up, because there are times he used the woods at shippers!

I tell my fiance EVERYDAY how proud of him I am. He needs to hear that. Also, I don't tell him the bad news, if I can help it. He needs to know I can handle myself at home. He needs to feel confident in me, so he does not feel guilty for leaving me home alone. Never make your man feel bad about making a living! Always give him encouragement.

Hometime, keep the advice line open :happy1:. Your motherly concern for a young woman you don't know is so touching. If you write a book, let me know! I will buy one!

Finally, Always thank God for the blessings He has already granted you. I thank God for truckers - you make the world go 'round! Keep the greasy side down! :thumbleft:

Ducks Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.