This is why ELD's are going into effect.

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by boneebone, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    So the bus driver who drove at 76 mph into a stopped truck had no culpability?

3. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    The bus driver was killed in the accident.

The next person the investigators look at under a microscope is the truck driver.

Theoretically if the truck driver drove legally and took his breaks when he was supposed to, neither the bus nor the truck would've ever came in contact with each other.

So unless the D.A. and the driver strike a plea deal, he most likely will not being seeing freedom for the rest of his life.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    lovesthedrive Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There will be no plea with these charges. Georgia will extradite him to California. I think this will be a potential death penalty case.

The bus driver is already paid for his 76 mph, by being dead. I have no feelings for him.

5. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    And the cell phone ban was implemented after a kid driving a pickup truck playing on his phone caused a pile-up by Six Flags in St. Louis that involved a couple school busses and a semi.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    These sorts of incidents certainly do not help the case of the anti-eLog activists.

So he hit the sleeper while parked in the road, waiting for the temporary closure to reopen and over-slept? Dam-it boy. That's a special kind of stupid. Probably just as well he come off the road permanently if he's going to push his physical limits like that and make other bone-headed choices on top of that.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    RedBeardedT, Bud A. and lovesthedrive Thank this.
  7. fuller

fuller Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Canada
    I'm Canadian, and even I know that this is not a death penalty case... Not in Cali, nor in any State.

8. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Maybe I misunderstood what happened. I thought he nodded off while sitting waiting for traffic to start moving. It started, and he was still snoring.

If he jumped in the bunk, that is the pinnacle of negligence. Throw da book atim!

9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I don't know, it's possible he was just layed over the steering wheel but he had to have been dog tired, so he had to have known that if he ever fell asleep, he'd not likely wake up easily. Either way, it's not a good idea to nap on a desert interstate.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  10. Pianoman

Pianoman Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Wow. I know he shouldn't have fallen asleep, but I think they're laying into him way too hard. Prison for life? For getting hit by someone else? That's just messed up.

KB3MMX and Bud A. Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.