this lady needs advise

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by raindown1977, Apr 28, 2015.

1. raindown1977

raindown1977 Bobtail Member

Apr 28, 2015
    greenville,nc
    I want to thank all of you guys and gals for your replies and any more are welcome too. I think I overreacted to the information I was hearing about MTC. I'm pretty sure the negative comments and BBB complaints were all made by people that just couldn't cut it in the first place and looking for someone to blame. I'm sure its gonna be 4weeks of he** but I'm going to make the best of it and leave there with a big ole smile on my face holding my cdls.

enicolasy, gntorres61 and pattyj Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. raindown1977

Apr 28, 2015
    greenville,nc
    I just finished doing my app for swift. Maybe I'll get to meet u one day. Lots of folks got decent things to say about them.

4. raindown1977

Apr 28, 2015
    greenville,nc
    After reading your response I got online and did a little more research. It seems like swift would meet my needs a lot better than some other places I have seen. I just finished my applications there now I'm gonna wait for an approval. Who knows maybe I can be the next one to cause you to put some more toe indentions in your floorboard lol.

Chinatown and MsJamie Thank this.
  5. oldtrucker66

oldtrucker66 Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2015
    Yes, both are accredited.

COURSE DESCRIPTION
    The Truck Driver Training program at Beaufort County Community College will train students to drive a Class - A combination vehicle and prepare students for their pre-trip inspection, off road skills test and the driving test which are all components of the NCDMV commercial driver's license (CDL) exam.

COURSE LENGTH
    The CDL Truck Driving Program is a 16 week, 400 hour, class that instructs students in both knowledge necessary to drive a Class-A and Class-B vehicles as well as hands on, over-the-road, driving experience.

gntorres61 Thanks this.
  6. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Yes, a two camera system with one looking forward and one looking at the driver with a 20 second loop that continuously overwrites itself unless a "critical event" happens. Then it will store 10 seconds prior to the triggering event and 10 seconds after the event.

Critical events can be triggered by hard braking, trailer rolling in a high speed turn, or over speed. I'm closing in on two years with Swift without ever recording a critical event, except for the time I recovered an L/O's truck that was governed at 68 mph and violated the company driver 67 mph maximum speed... uh... for long durations of time.... :D :D :D

... then they turned down the governor.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. MsJamie

MsJamie Road Train Member

Yes, cameras are coming. Just like GPS tracking and EOBRs (Electronic On Board Recorders), they will be a part of commercial driving.

My last job installed two camera systems (the same ones Swift will be using). Yes, people griped about them, then after a week, forgot about them.

They can NOT stream video (they don't have the hardware for that), nor can the company remotely trigger an "event". Doing either is illegal, and any company caught doing so would quickly find themselves on the losing end of a very expensive class action lawsuit. Only something happening *at the vehicle* can trigger a recording.

I am mixed on the inward facing cameras. Did you have a critical event due to a swerve? The front camera shows you drifting into the other lane, then snapping back into your lane. The assumption is that you were distracted and then corrected because, well, that's usually the case. But if you were changing lanes because of something way ahead (that was too far away for the camera to catch) and some idiot in a 4 wheeler chose that moment to pass you at 80 MPH, the inward camera would clearly show that you were aware of your surroundings, and the swerve occurred as you were checking your left mirror. Since the driver is considered "at fault" anyway during a critical event, the camera can only clear them if they did nothing wrong. Texting? You deserve what you get.

My issue comes as a team driver. When my partner is driving, the rest of the truck is my home. If the camera happens to catch a boob or butt shot, oh well. Such is life; I'll deal with it. The odds of that happening, however, are very slim. It's quite probable, however, that there will be a privacy lawsuit regarding teams that will clarify the issue.

Chicken Little, the sky is NOT falling. Big Brother is NOT watching you... at least not from your dash cam.

8. GAPathfinder

GAPathfinder Light Load Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    I drove for Swift for 2-years and they are actually pretty good for a mega carrier. Just remember it is all up and on you to succeed. They have a pretty good system in place. Good luck again.

MsJamie Thanks this.
  9. oldtrucker66

oldtrucker66 Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2015
    Let's assume for discussion a company is able to stream video or remotely trigger camera(s) to record. (as written in your post)
    What makes you think it would be illegal?
    I'd bet the cab is a considered a "workplace" and not a space with the expectation of privacy.

10. penwrathdragon

penwrathdragon Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2015
    Raintown 1977 If you have not started driving yet or attended a driving school, or have the funds to do it on your own your options are limited. But having said that, remember everyone started somewhere. Bottom line is you do too, so most every company out there who take trainees, put them in/thru school, train them, and place them in a truck you will find horror stories about. Its nature of the beast, especially now days. CONTACT EVERYONE OF THE BIG CARRIERS, Every one will make you sign a contract with them, they have to, they have upfront expense in you. Believe it or not for the most part the big carriers would be where to go in your situation. For the most part the bigger the better in your situation. They have the most resources, the most wiggle room for unexperienced drivers, and mostly the better programs for this type situation, ALSO normally the MOST EXPERIENCED TRAINERS. Thats you key right there THE MOST EXPERIENCED TRAINERS To pick one out of them all I would suggest Schnider, ya I said that, no I`ve never been there but know some who have that where in your need the full meal deal situation. Sure you will find horror stories there to but. Bottom line is Call on all of them, yes all of them, get every offer you can with all the details of your offer and how long your stuck with them, make your best decission you can and stay the full term. Try to ask or find one that puts you with an experienced veteran traner only, someone with at least 3 or more years experience before becomimg a trainer,hopefully 5 to 10 or more years. do not train with any trainer under 2 years experience, their still learning them selves. Ask every question you have! THE ONLY DUMB QUESTION IS THE ONE YOU HAVE BUT DIDDENT ASK!!! No such hing as a dumb question if you have it and dont know the answer. if the answer dosent sound or seem right ask more drivers and people in the industry. Also OBSERVE every other driver everywhere all the time (while your not driving of course) You can learn a bunch observing, trainees, experienced veterans, everywhere everyone, watch and observe them all. That (observation) (ask every question) and THE BIGGEST ONE a VETERAN EXPERIENCED TRAINER, where ever you end up, is the key to becoming successful in this business

raindown1977 Thanks this.
  11. truckerlife74

truckerlife74 Medium Load Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Charlotte nc
    Did you get the sign on bonus in writing as a formal contract? Also your transgender info shouldn't matter in this forum. I think ace venture and lieutenant einhorn would agree. :)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.