Thought the grass was greener

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by cman87, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    That is exactly why I got into this business. Tried local beverage delivery for a short time......hated it. 3 of the most important words for me in a job description are NO TOUCH FREIGHT.:D:p

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Never haul humans.
    Never deliver to resident addresses.

4. Dockbumper

Apr 29, 2020
    I wouldn't drive a School Bus......even WITHOUT KIDS ON IT!

AND......I have been the PO'ed Resident dealing with late and or damaged appliances, furniture, etc. Those guys have a thankless job, and most of them make squat!

I'll just continue to swing doors and bump docks. Happy withy Company and happy with my weekly pay.........Imagine that.....a HAPPY TRUCK DRIVER!:cool::D:p

austinmike and firemedic2816 Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I know a guy that delivered propane cylinders and bulk propane for large tanks to a nudist community in Tennessee. He didn't complain about the customers.
    Once a year he had to paint the larger tanks at the homes, so he'd wait until the hot summer months when lots of guests were visiting.

6. Stone Express

Stone Express Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Joy can only come from Jesus Christ and happiness is a decision. There are those that will never be thankful for anything. Their misery is contagious.

Pick a job, and stick with it for a while. All things new can be stressful, but in time become relative and sometimes we are glad that we gave it a chance.

I remember in the Air Force, because of my rank, they moved me up to a position that I thought I would hate. It ended up being a very rewarding and fun job. A lesson learned.. be careful about judging a new opportunity without giving it time.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    T.Rucker, OldeSkool, jrhd97 and 3 others Thank this.
  7. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    You say that like it's a bad thing.

I hope I never have to go back to doing local. Way too much traffic, stress, and slipseating in disgusting trucks...all for less money too.

gräkken and Chinatown Thank this.
  8. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    Those are the 3 LEAST heard words in Trucking. Especially LTL. SELDOM do I NOT touch at least some of the freight on my trailer. The upside to this is that I get to meet some really cool people. I also have to deal with some real JACKHOLES.

I deliverd 8, 8ft skids to a hopital today. PettyBone unload for all of it.
    Left a TommyGate at another customer today.

Delivered a tanning booth to a Salon last week. GREAT looking, business owner.

The work is good for you and gets you out from behind the wheel. Get some exercise, and MOVE AROUND. This is vital for your health. Sit too long and your risk of developing blood clots increases.

9. Ainsley Logistics

Ainsley Logistics Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2020
    I was a Lumper/Drivers Helper for a good decade at Canada's largest drugstore chain before I went inside on the forklift and finally got my license and went OTR. Liftgates with frozen tracks, no hydraulic oil, dead batteries.. pallet jacks with similar problems. Stores that expect you to shovel snow out of doorways because the stock peolple won't. ##### fingerprinting freight ever again.

misterG Thanks this.
  10. Speed_Drums

Speed_Drums Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2014
    Hauling humans sucks big time.

91B20H8 Thanks this.
  11. Dockbumper

Apr 29, 2020
    I spent almost 3 decades in the construction trades. I have lifted, climbed, hoisted, drug, pushed, pulled almost everything imaginable. I'm done with that crap. I'm glad you enjoy it. I also have the bad shoulders, knees, and back to prove it.

austinmike Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.