Thoughts on Maverik?

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Yoster, Feb 18, 2024.

1. Yoster

Yoster Light Load Member

May 16, 2011
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    I noticed they're building out a bit. What's interesting is most of their stops have fuel prices comparable to what you get with a discount at the big chains. However, sometimes you run across one with an unbeatable price. For example, I paid 3.54 at the one in Minden, NV. That saved me almost 50 cents over my TVC price at the Petro in Sparks. Also I remember going through Utah on 15 once. Passed a few Maveriks with regular prices, and suddenly there's one with a dramatically lower price. Anyone fuel there regularly and have any opinions on fuel quality or anything? I'd recommend downloading their app, its the only place I could look up prices accurately. And their free rewards card saves you and extra 2 cents a gallon.

Radman Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LOTSO

LOTSO Medium Load Member

Mar 28, 2023
    Nice, but small.

Radman and Boardhauler Thank this.
  4. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Maverick is owned by FJ management, they are also shareholders of Pilot/Flying J along with Berkshire Hathaway. The Maverick chain was started by a Call family member, uncle if memory serves me. The same Call family that started the Flying J brand. Think the family still has TABbank and the refinery ownership as well.

Maverick stores that have diesel fuel/truck lanes take all fuel cards Except Commdata. If you have a reward card, you can get a discount, if you use their fuel card, you get even bigger discount.

Sirscrapntruckalot and Radman Thank this.
  5. FLHT

FLHT Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Maverick is geared more toward the car and pick up crowd.
    ( Future Roller Doggers )

Radman Thanks this.
  6. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Maverick bought the Kum & Go chain last year, so they definitely are after the car travelers.

I've seen a couple mavericks with truck fuel but there was little truck parking there.

Radman Thanks this.
  7. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Maverick locations rarely have any truck parking. Some do, maybe 8 to 10. They are few and far between. They are definitely a fuel and go place. They do have some reasonable food items, if you’re looking for a quick bite. Most food is prepared/assembled at the location.

Radman and kemosabi49 Thank this.
  8. BlackjackCo

BlackjackCo Bobtail Member

Mar 29, 2024
    I work Utah, NV and Idaho. Truck fueling locations are relatively new. No parking with just a couple of exceptions. But I fuel exclusively with them. I have their club card saves $.02 off the posted prices. Food and bathrooms almost always better than other truck stops I've been too. And the rewards points have decent paybacks in free food and gift cards. I'm company driver so don't pay fuel bill, but I know company likes the savings.... I like the food and points.

Radman Thanks this.
  9. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    The new locations with truck lanes are definitely changing the way independents buy fuel here in the PNW. Came through Coeur d'Alene on Friday, and the Maverick posted price was less than the NASTC contract price at the Spokane TA or Missoula TA. As they build out, there is no way that it won't affect the high pump prices at the name brand truck stops. Or the high diesel (and premium gas) margins of all other fuel stations.

The connection with the Call family makes sense, the Maverick chain feels a little like the Flying J used to be before the buyout.

No showers, no parking to speak of, but a good place to fuel, use the clean bathroom, grab a drink or a snack and go again.

Radman, drvrtech77 and PacoTaco Thank this.
  10. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    The one off I-15 in Brigham City has overnight parking and is a pretty nice fuel stop compared to all the other dumps along 15 in northern Utah. Stopped in there about a month ago. Good price and it ran okay. No showers. Easy off/on if you’re running south…it’s literally the first right off the exit. I usually park at RJ’s in Tremonton because it’s a nice quiet place with tons of parking but their fuel islands suck and there’s no excuse for those potholes they never fix, so I usually fuel at the Maverick just down the road.

11. PacoTaco

PacoTaco Medium Load Member

Apr 16, 2016
    South Texas
    A new Maverik just opened in Pueblo, CO (exit 94) that has parking. I’ve stayed at the one in Durango a few times - room for about 15 trucks.

Accidental Trucker and Radman Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.