Three drivers given first and last warning

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Yank the Tank, Aug 11, 2022.

1. Yank the Tank

Yank the Tank Bobtail Member

Jun 14, 2022
    Chatting with my terminal manager today and he tells me that our cameras are monitored by a third party company and that he had to give 3 drivers a first and last warning because they were caught on camera with phone in hand.

One more time and it’s termination.

We’re allowed Bluetooth but not allowed to touch the phone.

All 3 drivers are above me on the seniority list so I find myself hoping they’ll get popped again so that I can get on a more favorable shift.

This is a local city tanker slip seat operation.

Are drivers getting fired for this at your company ?

One warning, two warnings ??? Or zero tolerance??

What’s your companies policy for this sort of thing ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. longhairdontcare

longhairdontcare Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2016
    You're at a pretty lenient company. At the company I work for, if they catch you on the phone once, you're gone. No questions asked

homeskillet, Bean Jr., flood and 9 others Thank this.
  4. prostartom

prostartom Light Load Member

Jun 20, 2014
    When I ran propane tankers during the winter there was no warning. Phone in hand while driving, there’s the door.

5. idriveaholden

idriveaholden Super Heavy Hauler

Mar 14, 2018
    Most people here wouldn’t work for a company that has a camera in the truck …

6. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Different companies are different but one thing universal is if you’re holding the phone in your hand you usually get canned.

some companies will allow you to mount the phone around the dash somewhere so you can use your GPS. You might be able to get away with pushing a button or something like this. But you cannot hold the phone. Voice commands are now popular with the phone as well. Especially if it’s hooked up to Bluetooth.
    In my humble opinion all phones should be in the bunk while the truck is moving. This eliminates temptation to check that incoming text message that you think at the time is important but probably could wait.

7. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I wouldn’t work for a company with nanny cams in the truck.

8. InTooDeep

InTooDeep Donner party survivor

Jan 17, 2016
    Carmichael CA
    In my company if I get caught touching my phone it is always followed by a slap to the head. From my wife

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  9. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    How the heck you stream music if you cant touch your phone? Its not texting, no different from using a radio.

10. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Our insurance company tells us it's against the rules. I tell the guys not to let me catch them yakking on the phone. I'm not going to turn them in to the insurance company, I just won't do it.
    If they get caught by the cops and cited or if an insurance spotter sees them there won't be anything I can do. They know that. They know the risks involved. They're grownups...I treat them as such.

11. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    I don’t drive with my phone within reach. There is no call or text that can’t wait for me to find a pullout. It’s close enough that if I yell loud enough Siri can sometimes understand me.

That said, those guys getting popped for touching a phone while driving with a camera should really consider a new employer before they lose their job with a safety violation. Good luck then.

JoeyJunk, lual, bzinger and 3 others Thank this.
  12. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    The small OTR company that I recently left had a zero tolerance policy for having a phone in hand if caught on camera or cited for such.

JoeyJunk, D.Tibbitt, bzinger and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.