Ticked off or Scared...

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Kozakvod, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    They'll notice that all right maybe hide some being your triangles

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rolls canardly

rolls canardly Road Train Member

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    So last Friday in the Pocono Mts. of Pennsylvania we had a little snowstorm;
    like 14" with 50 MPH wind gusts. Drifting and whiteout conditions. Got a call from a cell for someone
    who drove off into a big drift. This is on a 2 mile, 7 degree grade and two lane blacktop.
    I have flares, my yellow blinding strobe, and flashers on, pulling this lady out of the snowbank.
    I am blocking the lane - as there is no shoulder - it's all plowed snow. Traffic flow is stopped to crawling.
    This "gentleman" in a silver AWD Audi comes down the hill - like its summer. Slides up to within a foot of the car I was trying to winch out of the snowbank and onto the bed of my Rollback. He looked at me, as I came running up to the side of his door, and says, before I had a chance to say anything,
    "Hey, look, I'm sorry, OK; I'm sorry, I didn't see you."
    You - didn't - see - me.
    So he's in the middle of white-out conditions, in the worst snowstorm in 15 years,
    going possibly 2.5 times as fast as he should have been, with summer tires,
    and somehow this made him not see two flares, my blinding yellow strobe, and my 4 ways?
    Meatlings, meat with eyes; they're out there. And they drive.

4. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    When I drove wreckers, I was rear-ended one night stopping to pick up an abandoned vehicle. 2 state cop cars parked on the shoulder with their lights flashing. Me in a 4700 Int'l rollback that I lit up like a Christmas tree (beacons, 4-ways, flood lights, and work lights both above and below the deck) as I slowed in the right lane. At least SHE had an excuse...3x the legal limit. I made good money on that tow, because I went out for 1 abandoned car, came back with the abandoned AND the wreck, and charged the drunk for cleanup, too. Front end of her Cavalier didn't do a dern thing to my wheel lift...mashed her grille in clear through her radiator, though. Insurance companies really ought to stop paying collision claims for drunk drivers. Cover the liability portion of the claim, but the drunk should pay for the damage done to their own car.

5. rolls canardly

rolls canardly Road Train Member

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    True. Those wheel lifts are a hefty chunk of steel. They don't give.
    You reminded me I didn't mention the 3 led work lights on, over the bed.
    The guy in the AUDI wasn't drunk in this case; I think he was "Snowmobiling" in his car;
    Trying out the all wheel drive, and got carried away, speed-wise, cause it was downhill.

BigBob410 Thanks this.
  6. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    I look back at my earlier years, and although there were a few ignorant ##### most of the drivers moved over. But there was less distractions in the cab too..... Most of the distractions were at the truck stop.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2018
    okiedokie, Banker and BigBob410 Thank this.
  7. BigBob410

BigBob410 Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    That's funny! I had to go bad the other day. I don't usually stop on the fuel island but I was worried I wasn't going to make it. Wasn't inside 5 minutes and came out to a 400# slob that looked like he was allergic to showering calling me lazy! Really?! I think the only reason he was mad is I took his parking spot and he had to walk an extra 10'!!! I don't think it's possible to be "lazy" car hauling you'd never get any cars to the truck!

Hammer166, Banker, Kozakvod and 2 others Thank this.
  8. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Hammer I thought they brought your cars to you! Don’t they know who you are? I turned over a new leaf January 1st and went from a relaxed one load and 8 hours a day pace to 6-8 loads a week. My feet are the first body parts to not like the new pace. They are not happy with the extra miles a day walking and climbing. Unfortunately I can’t blame anyone but myself. Thankfully Zappos has a new pair of good walking shoes on the way.

Hammer166 and BigBob410 Thank this.
  9. Kozakvod

Kozakvod Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Nothing like a brisk walk to the 800 lot at Manheim PA. 9 times!

Hulld, Hammer166, StrokerTSi and 3 others Thank this.
  10. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Or the 1/2 mile uphill at Adesa KC

Kozakvod, Hulld and BigBob410 Thank this.
  11. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    The what seems like a thousand stairs up the side of a mountain and then the 1/2 mile walk at statesville NC is also quite invigorating lol.

BigBob410, Kozakvod and Hammer166 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.