Ticket question

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by homerdale, Feb 6, 2021.

1. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    What if you weighed on empty tanks.
    And now your tanks are full?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Curious as to what states these are?

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  4. calnca

calnca Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Bella Vista, AR
    Mainly coal production and transportation states.....West Virginia and Kentucky

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  5. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    Those trucks are already permitted well over the normal gross limit. Most states that permit over 80k gross have provisions on the permit that state exactly what happens if you’re over your permitted weight. For example, in UT you can be under your allowable gross but heavy on an axle group and simply get an axle ticket. But if you’re over your allowable gross then you lose your permit and your overweight ticket is written based on 80k gross. So let’s say you’re allowed 105k gross and you get caught at 106.5k. Your overweight ticket in UT would be for 26.5k over gross instead of 1500 pounds over.

In 24 years I’ve yet to ever have an overweight ticket show up on my driving record. You’re citing examples where states are trying to curb overweight trucks that are already able to run around at 100k gross or more. I feel it’s somewhat misinforming to say that you see overweights on driving reports everyday when for most of the industry it’s not the case. I remember when CSA2010 started and the rumor got going around that overweight tickets will hurt a carriers safety rating and that’s also not the case.

6. calnca

calnca Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Bella Vista, AR
    Not sure what to tell you, other than I actually review drivers actual Mars every work day, and I see OW violations with regularity. Most mvrs I see are CA, NV & AZ, maybe that’s why.

7. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    Ok, first it was coal country and now it’s these other states. I got a ticket in CA for overweight and not meeting their KPRA requirement and not a thing shows up on my MVR. I’ve also gotten overweight tickets in NV and AZ during that same time frame when I was hauling cattle and none of it is on my record or on the carrier’s authority that I use. Not to mention there was two months out of the year when I would get two overweight tickets per week in FL and pay the fine and move on. Overweight isn’t a moving violation so why would it be on your driving record? It’s the same as having a light out in the eyes of the FMCSA. So black out the important information and show me what you’re looking up to be able see all these violations every day.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.