Tight Backing

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by fr8te_sh8ker, Sep 8, 2013.

Do you take time to practice backing?

1. *

Yes

26 vote(s)
    74.3%
  2. *

No

10 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Hacking practice???????????????????lol.I know its a typo,lol.

mje Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    Stupid cell phone lol. Yes It was a typo I'll edit that. Lol

mje Thanks this.
  4. TheDude1969

TheDude1969 Heavy Load Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Joliet, Il
    I know my backing skills are directly related to the amount of eyes on me. I might put someting in a spot you'd have hard time getting it out, if no one was watching... then put a camera on me and couldn't hit a mile wide dock. :biggrin_25513:

Honestly Newnash, IceCreator... Be shamed of your posts! You didn't impress anyone here.

luvtotruck, KW Cajun, FLATBED and 6 others Thank this.
  5. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    Oh don't you just love hitting them tight spots when somebody is watching you? Lol. Its like alright I've done this 100 times no problem then you see that person watching and it all goes to hell. I feel your pain have felt it many times. About the only time somebody would get a decent video of me backing would be if I didn't know they were taking it. Hell I still to this day use a flashlight when backing into dark holes to help me line up. Still use it at the trucks top if the line is half missing. Oh well I'm still a rookie I have an excuse lol

pattyj, mje, davetiow and 3 others Thank this.
  6. TheDude1969

TheDude1969 Heavy Load Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Joliet, Il
    Flashlight is a great idea, I've never thought of. You lay it on line as you back in, or did I misunderstand? I'm thinking of getting one now that would help me a ton with midnight dock times.

fr8te_sh8ker and mje Thank this.
  7. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    So many customers with tight backing are not fit for trks with extended cabs.What I hate is when they say drivers do it all the time.Well im not one of those drivers so plz don't compare me.If I can get into A tight spot I will but im not going to bust my ### trying.

8. Vito

Vito Heavy Load Member

Jun 4, 2012
    North Carolina
    I'm still fairly new to driving. When I had 6 months, no, I wasn't "ready for anything". It really takes about 10-12 months in my opinion. The best practice I got was backing into tight docks, blind side, in the back of strip malls. Heck, just getting back there, fighting the 4 wheelers is half the battle. So in my opinion there's no real substitute for real life situations.

pattyj, KF7WTV, mje and 3 others Thank this.
  9. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    I went from otr to pulling a spread most of the time for 6 years mixed with some closed tandem 53s, and getting past the variability of the backing with a spread, in dark yards, off road, was a challenge. I learn by adjusting, have been doing this long enough now to be able to do that.

Some places are nearly impossible, but nearly means there is someone that can probably do it.

10. 4noReason

4noReason Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2012
    this was my point in my previous threads. always some people who love to blab their mouths

11. fr8te_sh8ker

fr8te_sh8ker Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Yes, you lay it on the ground. Awesome spotter :) I used one at a foggy Florida cabbage patch at 6am. because I didn't understand one word the little latina's were saying trying to help me out. Flashlight worked 10 ft at a time till I crossed the narrow drainage ditch.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.