Tight Backing

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by fr8te_sh8ker, Sep 8, 2013.

Do you take time to practice backing?

1. *

Yes

26 vote(s)
    74.3%
  2. *

No

10 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. Milo161

Milo161 Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Ft. Collins, Colorado
    Backed into a tight parking spot today at a truck stop. Was my first time backing without my trainer. Small lot with a few drivers watching me. I was sweating to say the least. Pulled up twice and didn't hit anything. My trainer used to have me practice during the day when the lots were almost empty. We all have to start sometime. Us new guys could use a little positive re-enforcement now and then. So far, the other drivers have been nice. No ragging on me that I know of. Most tell me "welcome to the brotherhood". I know I will get better. I just don't need someone filming me and then posting on You Tube. I plan to keep practicing when I have the time/room.

fr8te_sh8ker, mje, g.o.a.l and 4 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell

Basically yes that's what I do. I put it at the very end of the line (up against the dock for instance) get back in and start backing. It has definitely helped me out of a few jams when I couldn't get square for the life of me.

mje, rockee, TheDude1969 and 2 others Thank this.
  4. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Encouraging advice from one new driver to another.It does take time to learn and you get better with each time you back.One day you won't even think about it,you'll just do it.Well not the tight backing but all the other types of backing will get easier and easier.

5. TheDude1969

TheDude1969 Heavy Load Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Joliet, Il
    I was watching a CR england driver try fitting into a very difficult hole for 15mins. And the people helping were only telling when to stop and pull up... When I finished my delivery I went over to ask the driver if needed a hand. This very nice woman was in full blown tears, because she seen I had eyes on her and needed so much help let alone the pissed off cars. She about fell out of the cab when I offered to put it in.

Its my thought... you need a fresh look if it is not going well. Get out look around and take deep breath, and forget about everyone else. I'm very confident she would've got it in if not so concerned about everyone else. And if you see this happening offer a hand, we've all been there.

6. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Need more drivers like to to offer their assistance but let me give you alittle advice,don't back their trk in unless its another driver from your company,that could cost them their job.

mje, Truckie83, KF7WTV and 3 others Thank this.
  7. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

I've been out here 3 years... I still feel a rookie at times... Really glad I team w/hubby, if I feel iffy on a back, he hops out to spot me... And I do the same for him...

8. stungjoe

stungjoe Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Yet to be determined.
    I got plenty of practice backing but there's no way you can encounter every scenario when with a trainer. ALWAYS take you time, pull ups are free so use them, try not to worry about what anybody else thinks and when in doubt GOAL. I have found more than enough willing drivers that will help spot but remember at the end of the day; it's your truck and your responsibility. I have refused only once to back into a spot(blind side just beyond a gate and around a dumpster. The dock had a small set of steps beside it that was totally crushed by previous drivers trying to back in) only because I talked the guy into loading the pallet jack into the back of my trailer and I lumped the pallets to the back.

9. NewNashGuy

NewNashGuy Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    US and Canada
    I impress the other truckers waiting behind me in line that ask me if I can back their trucks into the dock too.

mje Thanks this.
  10. TheDude1969

TheDude1969 Heavy Load Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Joliet, Il
    Oh, wait... Now I'm impressed, and everyone else is I'm sure!

Congrats on your backing skills.

luvtotruck, ShootThis, mje and 2 others Thank this.
  11. Glp

Glp Medium Load Member

Dec 23, 2012
    Oakland, CA
    One thing that helps when backing into a tight spot with lots of people around, especially off the street is dont look at anyone in the eyes that are gawking at you

pattyj, TheDude1969 and mje Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.