Tight Backing

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by fr8te_sh8ker, Sep 8, 2013.

Do you take time to practice backing?

1. *

Yes

26 vote(s)
    74.3%
  2. *

No

10 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. rockee

rockee Road Train Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pacific Northwest
    Time to step down off the high horse NewNash and come visit with some of us regular folks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KF7WTV

KF7WTV Medium Load Member

Aug 8, 2012
    RENO, NV
    I bet NewNashGuy can back the entire length of Stremnaya Rd in Bolivia with a spread axle!

:biggrin_25523:

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2015
    FLATBED, mje, 379exhd and 4 others Thank this.
  4. KF7WTV

Aug 8, 2012
    RENO, NV
    There's an "inside" sunken dock @ a steel shipper in Laredo with an entrance hole only 108" wide. It was also only my 3rd backing at a customer, EVER! I was still with my trainer. He told me "you're going to have to do it on your own eventually, so no, I'm not getting out to help this time." Thank GOD it was not a blindside!! I had to get out and check my clearances every 3 or 4 ft. Took me almost 45 minutes. Glad the cust wasn't busy!

Lilbit, mje, TheDude1969 and 1 other person Thank this.
  5. KW Cajun

KW Cajun Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Copperhead Road
    I give ya credit! I'm not sure I could go thru that mix of patience and cusswords, especially at that early stage, without running to the nearest builders supply to buy a gas powered concrete saw... and fix that narrow opening problem in a permanent kinda way!

TheDude1969, mje and KF7WTV Thank this.
  6. KF7WTV

Aug 8, 2012
    RENO, NV
    LMAO :biggrin_2559::biggrin_2559: Thanks for the guffaw!

I was still so hyped on actually driving a big rig, that although I was miffed that my trainer wouldn't help, I just buckled down and got it done as best I could. I actually think now, I'd tell my dispatcher what she could do with that load. lol :biggrin_25525:

mje and Lilbit Thank this.
  7. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    No better one. Give him a triaxle that's loaded. That's worse than a spread you only have 2 axles a spread can pivot on triaxles are a royal PITA at times, and don't get me started on quads:biggrin_25510:
    Me fat? Well if 5'10 and 134.4 is fat then yes I'm a fat guy. Hey I'm up a little bit on my weight last time it was only 110 so maybe I should go on a diet and get my figure back where it should be.

For the record I have never backed into another truck, or anything for that matter, aside from clipping an overhead chute at an elevator with my stack one time no damage was done and I'm not the first driver to catch one of those. I won't say I'll never have an incident backing because guess what things like that do happen. I still goal, still back slowly, and still take my time, if you don't like it and have to wait a little longer get the hell over it. Wanna laugh oh at me because it takes me longer to do something that you can do in 30 seconds be my guest ain't no skin off my back.

As for the .28/mile nope don't make that make a lot less when it comes down too it after witholding and what not. I'll admit it, I'm not ashamed of it either. I'm simple don't need much, as long as there's food on the table and fuel in my tanks and the truck's running, I'm okay with that. If that bothers you that's perfectly fine I'm not here to impress anybody or build myself up to be something I'm not.
    I imagine that 108" wide spot was a lot of fun wasn't it?:biggrin_25523:

I have felt your pain as well with a spread. I can't tell from you pic but looks like you run a 48 fixed spread and I'm going to assume you don't have a dump valve. Those are always a fun one to back in.

The main thing is no matter how long it took you to get in there is that you didn't hit anything.

I like your attitude as well. You were hyped! lol. that's always good. I miss seeing the pictures on facebook with the little kid that's all happy, there was one with that kid that said "This is how I feel when I start my truck in the morning" god it was good.

Anyway here's the pics of when I felt your pain. Crown line pipe in Neb City. 2013-03-12_14-10-53_280.jpg 2013-03-12_14-19-46_555.jpg 90 degree sight side. That day I learned that in order to properly see out of my truck, you have to unbuckle your seatbelt and either
    A. open the door and stand on the step,
    B. open the door undo you seatbelt and look out
    C. Undo your seatbelt and lean out the window. I chose the window method worked fairly well. But I have seen all 3 done before lol

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2015
    KW Cajun, mje, davetiow and 1 other person Thank this.
  8. TheDude1969

TheDude1969 Heavy Load Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Joliet, Il
    I had just noticed 33yrs old <---thought by now you'd of grown up, but I can imagine that's the outcome of living in mommies basement playing video games for past 20yrs...and a whopping 2yrs experience! I bet you had best score EVER on 'Big Motha Trucker'!
    :biggrin_2559:

Just so the rest of us can catch up to your greatness here is a game I found, my gosh is it hard!
    Its a flash player, and requires keyboard.
    Code:
    http://scoresmasher.com/forums/arcade.php?do=play&gameid=1172
    :Edit: sorry just realized site requires registration, try this instead if you can handle the ads
    Code:
    http://www.addictinggames.com/car-games/parkmybigrig.jsp
    or search for 'Park my big rig'

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
    379exhd, mje, FLATBED and 2 others Thank this.
  9. Guntoter

Guntoter Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    379exhd, mje, TheDude1969 and 2 others Thank this.
  10. Vito

Vito Heavy Load Member

Jun 4, 2012
    North Carolina
    Who cares how long it takes to back, or how easy it is for you, or how "good" you are?

If a driver is so concerned about doing it fast he/she probably won't be doing it right and disaster is looming large.

Some days I put it in a really tight spot first shot, it took all of 2 minutes. Other days I might spend 25 minutes on an easier back. As long as I didn't hit anything, did it safely, I really don't give a rats posterior how long it took me. The bottom line is no matter HOW GOOD you are backing there are going to be days and spots that try all your skills and patience. It's best to stay vigilant and focus on SAFETY.

KW Cajun, davetiow, FatDaddy and 4 others Thank this.
  11. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

Although not DIRECTED at me as I am not FAT , and make a lot more than $0.28 / mile and do not back into thrucks .

"You fat guys can talk a lot of trash online and hiding behind a CB radio. In real life I am the one laughing at you backing into other trucks and taking an hour to dock. Your little comments do not mean anything to me. Get back to your .28 cent per mile jobs":biggrin_2559:

That tyrate just makes you sound more like the South End of a Northbound DONKEY than you alreadsy did.

379exhd, mje, TheDude1969 and 4 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.