Tilt steering

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by jpracer1, Dec 22, 2016.

1. jpracer1

jpracer1 Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2009
    So my cable for my tilt broke with it in the up position,tulsa volvo dealer tried to get it to move but now say i need a new steering column,it never had an issue moving before the cable broke

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. d281833

d281833 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2012
    Cable is probably jammed, you can replace them. A new steering column? Wow.

KB3MMX and mp4694330 Thank this.
  4. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    You don't need a new Steering Column, you just need to replace the Tilt Cable.

You can Google the Volvo Factory Service Instructions Online.

You will find the Factory Service Manual R&R Instructions on www.justanswer.com /medium-heavy-truck/6anzb-need-replace-tilt-wire-steering-wheel-volvo-truck.html

Those Volvo Stealerships will try to take every cent from you if you let them.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    KB3MMX and mp4694330 Thank this.
  5. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    This is easy to replace if you have a done it a few times. Needing a new steering coulum is an excuse that the person doing this could not do it. there is a torx bolt on the side of this colum under the plastic and if you loosen it up a little bit i believe you can move the colum to a easy position just pretty much holds all the springs in i've replaced hundrets of these cables and never had a need for a steering column.

Socal Xpress and KB3MMX Thank this.
  6. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    My guy just had the cable broke with the wheel in the up position. Will try to find that bolt now

7. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    should be a t 45 on the clutch pedal side there is a hole and the torx goes thru it just put it in with extension try both directions i can't recall which one makes the steering move but one direction it moves done it a few times.

RoadRanger^^, KB3MMX and DUNE-T Thank this.
  8. RoadRanger^^

RoadRanger^^ Light Load Member

Apr 17, 2018
    Columbus, OH
    I just replace it today, it took me 3.5 hours not bad from what i’ve read. Take all the plastics around and the most important is there is hole that cable needs to go thru. once u put it in the first there is second hole but once u hit first one it will go thru second one ez. $35 part comes as a kit in volvo cable and pedal. very litle room but u giys can do it

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.