tilted antennas

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by jash369, May 4, 2008.

1. jash369

jash369 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2007
    roslyn,pa
    steve...........................coooool:biggrin_25522:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Truckerjo

Truckerjo Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana
    Well I would disagree with a few on this subject.. It depends on the truck if tilting will help performance.. if you drive a century with a condo tilting a coil antenna will help and your swr will not bounce as much.. (I also should say your equipment also depends if it would help)

If you drive a Pete then tilting would have little effect..

Ideal set up would be to have the Antenna far as possible from the cab as possible. this way there is no reflection/deflection.

many sites on the web explain antennas and how they work.. They simply are not supposed to be next to sheet metal (cab) should be in the open air. So, any way to help move that coil away from the cab will help.

Of coarse this would all depend on your equipment and the equipment you use to calibrate your system. Most CB shops just ball park it with junk meters and could care less..

4. jash369

jash369 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2007
    roslyn,pa
    This is now getting interesting..............HAHAHAHAHA:yes2557:

5. kent0242

kent0242 Bobtail Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Metro Detroit, MI
    That post was right on. Antennas are the tools that get your radio signal out to the rest of the world. Like one guy said about the tilted antennas - "Who in heaven and hell are you trying to communicate with?" Because a tilted antenna sends signal radiating down and up, as much as forward and back. I'm not trying to communicate with planes and alien spaceships, and I can't remember the last time I saw a worm with a CB radio!

For best transmission and reception distance, your antenna needs to align with everyone else. The closer you get your antenna to vertical, the better you will interact with the others out in radio land. Anything less than vertical and you're wasting radio signal.

6. mule

mule Light Load Member

Apr 30, 2008
    falkville alabama
    well i drive a century class and i run a k40 with a cobra 29 and the whip on the k40 bows backwards a lot when going down the road so i tilt mine forward my swr is very low so i think it may help.

7. d-man57

d-man57 Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Indiana
    Mines tilted forward, at road speed they are straight up. Gets out good, don't do much talkin while it's sitting still. Connex 3300hp./Wilson 5000's.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  8. bagged

bagged Light Load Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Oregon
    I have a wilson mounted on the back of my sleeper dead center. THis is the best place I have found to mount my antenna unless I am pulling my reefer. I know that back in the day they used to do it to keep them straight up when they were running a hundred miles per hour out thru the desert.

9. KN4TFD

KN4TFD Bobtail Member

Aug 28, 2022
    I'm a actual Ham operator. I will give my call sign as t the end. You can look it up on ARRL.com. See I'm not bs ing.
    Diapole and Yagi antennas are a non directional. And are not straight antennas. And swr in fact are lower if y'all wanna play with the big boys get your #### license KN4TFD

10. runningman0661

runningman0661 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Clover, South Carolina
    Guys with tilted antennas usually also have tall shifters, wear fingerless gloves, and walk around with their Bluetooth headsets on wherever the go.

11. IH Truck Guy

IH Truck Guy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Purgatory
    33r5yl (1).jpg

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.