Tilting Steering Wheel Further Down?

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by PowderPuff388, Nov 19, 2012.

1. PowderPuff388

PowderPuff388 Bobtail Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Alberta
    Has anyone ever did some mods to tilt the steering wheel further down? I've heard if you take the plastic cover off and remove the plastic bushing with some work the steering wheel will tilt further down. Info good or bad??

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    how far down do you need to tilt????

4. PowderPuff388

PowderPuff388 Bobtail Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Alberta
    Ateast another 1/2" or so would be good. The older trucks wheel tilted farther down than the newer ones.

5. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    everybody likes it different i would like mine to go up to flat like the old cabovers

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  6. highside

highside Medium Load Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Kansas
    You can do it, but it takes some finesse. Take the cover off the steering column. Inside you will see a spring about an inch in diameter, and 4 or 5 inches long, inside a piece of clear plastic. Remove the clear plastic, and look inside the spring. Inside you'll see a white plastic spacer that limits the downward tilt of the wheel. Figure out a way to get that white spacer out, and you'll gain an extra 4 or so inches of tilt. One word of caution: if you break anything, you're SOL, because Peterbilt doesn't sell individual steering column parts- you have to buy the whole thing.

KB3MMX, flat top and PowderPuff388 Thank this.
  7. 1johnb

1johnb Medium Load Member

Jun 13, 2012
    New Paris Ohio
    I have the part no. For the tilt cylinder if any one needs it, it is available through paccar.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  8. Gambi80

Gambi80 Medium Load Member

Which year truck are you talking about...??? I have a 2000 that I'd like the steering column to tilt back more on.

9. special k

special k Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    On my 2000 the easiest way was to space the upper mounting bracket out a little bit. 1" spacer drops the collumn quite a bit at the wheel. You will end up with a gap between the dash and the plastic collumn cover though.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  10. duramaxnb

duramaxnb Bobtail Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Climax Saskatchewan
    Has anyone attempted this? I have tried and can't seem to find a way to do it I have even tried removing the pin that holds the assembly in place but it won't budge. Thanks

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.