Time for a change

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by GATROR06, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    JB is advertising a similar deal.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    YA but it's JB!!

4. Waterloo

Waterloo Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Grass Lake, MI
    I looked at JB too. I like the way Schneider has their freight on the internet for me to see. The way JB described their dispatch it was more of a forced deal, take it or leave it over the qualcom. I like seeing the loads on the internet, and I can plan out an entire week if I want in one sitting, up to three or four loads in advance.

But, that is just me.

Mike

5. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    I was fully planing to put my 359 on with schneider but half way through the deal I found out they wouldn't put me on percentage because my o/o exp was more then 3 years old. they require 1 yr in the last three and there is no way I'm letting SNI dispatch me. I REALLY liked the setup they have though.
    Since that tie I have come to find out they are quailcom nazis though. I ure wouldn't like that. And that whole having plenty of time for your loads thing you could also look at as too much time and not being able to reload fast enough

6. GATROR06

GATROR06 Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2006
    Akron, ohio
    I came into this career in the early 90s riding on the coat tails of my father. He was without question a old school trucker! He owned 6 trucks when me and my brother where recruited by him. Not much of a father if I have to be honest here. Growing up we believed he loved his trucks more then he loved anything. During the early years my brother and I would be put on a loads together running from Ohio to the LA and was told we had 5 days to do it. LOL I never even knew how to fill out a log book until my 3rd year of driving when I got pulled into a DOT inspection in PA. Believe it or not the DOT after putting me out of service took me into the toll collection building and showed me how the hours of service worked and how to fill out a log book. Pops gave me and my brother our very own trucks in 1996. for the first Time I was making pretty good money! Pops passed in 2000. The evil wicked step mother sold the remaining trucks. I never thought I had reason to ask to have the truck put in my name. during early 2000s I bounced around a lot because I really didnt know what it was like to work for a Company. After several companies I figured out the problem wasnt the companies I was working for but it was me. I settled down and started making money, got some longevity in started getting nice equipment and so on.
    Anyway dont know how I got started down this stream. But here we are in a bad economy and Im looking at buying a truck. Im looking at a KW T2000. 2005 with 310k. 41.000 with a 10k down payment gets me a 3year payment of about 1000 per month. If times were a little better I would be looking at more truck. But I think a 1000 payment is safe! I have talked with a lot of Landstar drivers and for the most part they seem happy. Granted the freight available isnt as good as it was 2 years ago. However they still seem to be making some money. I think this next year coming its gonna be slow no matter who or what you drive for! Ive said it in other post, None of us are gonna make the money we are used to. But IM gonna take advantage of a "buyers market" get in while its cheap to do it. LOL worse case I can sleep in the truck when I lose my home!! I will look into the big orange before signing on to landstar.

Thank you all for your insight and helpful comments!!
    Happy Holidays!!

Gator

7. Waterloo

Waterloo Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Grass Lake, MI
    I just went through their orientation, and I was told that we all had the option to go with the straight all mile pay till we got the hang of things, or... We could jump right onto the boards and get our own freight. I never heard of anyone being denied the Choice program because of o/op time behind the wheel. One couple was in my class that just bought their very first truck just a few weeks ago and they went Choice.

As far as the QualCom, mine rarely goes off. And if it does, it is either a good job to all or a warning on recent truck stop thefts of loads, good info to have. Nothing weird or what I would consider annoying. The only requirement is to do a once a day check call and enter delivery and pick up info which takes all of 15 seconds, and a few other entries that might have to be done once or twice a week, if at all.

As far as the time, yea, to much time to is wasted on some loads. But, it is nice to be able to at least have a say in it. Sometimes an extra day is nice. But, I can see your point on that, as I have said the same thing. But, at least, and thank God, they have the freight. You take the good with the bad. I am just grateful right now to have some money coming in. It has been a few months, as the last carrier I was with has 115 loads available in the entire USA right now. Just think of all of the sitting one would do there. No, I'll eat a day or two right now, just for the fact that I know I have a load waiting for me.

Mike

8. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    it's right on there website although I still think it wasn't there when I first started talking to them. they have the requirement. I've heard of them waiving it but that's for people who worked for them as company drivers and have a track record with schneider.
    I have all the emails. I assure you I'm not making it up. I was actually kinda of excited about there new program, especially since they wee going to give me a set of new tires with there discount on my first day. Landstar you have to wait 6 months before you are elegable for any of the group pricing they get.

9. GATROR06

GATROR06 Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2006
    Akron, ohio
    I called them today. They wont let you run the board unless you have one year in the last 3 as an O/O. However they will put you on there paid per mile program. Only problem with that is its forced dispatch! Think Ill just stay with landstar and see how it works out!

Gator

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.