Time for Prime.....

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Steve & Lo, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knighton5

knighton5 Heavy Load Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Rose City
    Does Prime charge you extra for an APU? Someone told me they charge more a week.? Where do you run STEVE? Do you buy Primes health insurance?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Steve & Lo

Steve & Lo Medium Load Member

May 22, 2007
    Tennessee
    Yes, they do charge extra for the APU ($60 wk).......but, if you idle your truck you will spend that idling in 20 hours or less in fuel. The APU uses 1/10 of the fuel and gives you the AC power to boot!

I run all over.....Except the upper East Coast :biggrin_255:..... My fleet manager asked me when we first talked if there was anywhere I didn't want to run....I told him I would rather stay out of the City and off the upper East Coast.....He said not a problem....and so far....so good.

No....I will not get the Health Insurance that Prime offers the Lease Drivers. Working on getting it a WHOLE LOT CHEAPER!!

4. VULCAN1999

VULCAN1999 World's #1 Grandpa

Jul 28, 2007
    Bunnell, FL
    Steve & Lo,

Good for you. What I have noticed just like any business and Leasing needs to be worked as a business. If you work hard and watch your spending you will make money. I have talked to several Prime driver who LOVE IT. My son and I are trying to go with Prime, I have a medication issue I need to get worked out by switching to another med before I can even go forward.

My son and I plan on doing the lease in the future, mostly just to see if he likes it and is willing to make a career out of it. If he does then I can run with him 3 weeks a month as a team and crank out some miles and we can probably both have some TAH each month. After a couple years then purchase a truck and lease back to Prime or another company.

MOST EVERYONE in the world wants to see you fail. I know this because I was involved in Network Marketing for 20 years and for the first 10 years didn't make alot of money, well since July 1997 I have been with the same company and I haven't recruited or lifted a finger since April 2000 and I make on average $45k to $50K a year in residuals and I'm only 44 years old. MY POINT IS if I had listened to family and friends back then well I wouldn't have enjoyed the life my wife and I have together. I still have freinds today that make $500K a year but they work 70+ hours a week at it. Yes I did see 100K+ in a year, but enjoy the residuals much better. The same thing there you go to message boards on the net and hear people CRY because they lost some money.

NOTE: I'm not recruiting on here for MLM, so please don't contact me about it. I WILL NOT talk to you about it. MY COMPANY DOES NOT RECRUIT ANYMORE.

5. Steve & Lo

May 22, 2007
    Tennessee
    Well....had a good week this week. I'm currently @ the Prime Palace.... Have to take a class before I can train my wife @ the end of the month! Can't wait for her to get on the truck with me! Also have to get my first service done. Just a few days less than 7 weeks and already @ 22k miles. They pulled the DDEC from the computer and I found out that I need to work on my shift points.....too used to driving someone elses truck! LOL Got to get those RPM's down......saves fuel. I'm averaging 6.16 mpg which isn't too bad I guess for a brand new motor......maybe it'll start coming in pretty soon. Hope to have the Progressive valve Propane Injection installed next month. Might have to wait a little longer tho.....depends on what SWMBO says! LOL! Had 3 trips this week.....Not very many miles.....BUT...I'll still bank $1400+ after all the take-outs. Averaged $1.43 mi for the week. Hated to give that last load up....It would have paid the truck $2600+ to go to SLC.....but what can I say....I'm a devoted husband and want to get my wife out as soon as we can. My part for bringing it to the yard was still $1033. Not bad for a hand-off. Hope everyone has a good weekend! Drive safe......as I'll be sitting til Mon afternoon....he he he!!

6. knighton5

knighton5 Heavy Load Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Rose City
    That sounds good Steve, good luck to you as a team driver!
    I have decided to lease with GORDON out of Pacific WA. 4 year lease purchase. I know Gordon has the freight and hope to make a good switch to owner op with them.... 90 cpm plus fsc. DRIVE SAFE

7. bor

bor Light Load Member

Aug 5, 2007
    Cuero, Tx.
    Thats great!!
    Keep this thread going buD!!
    I am a "Subscriber" to yours and Bronc's Threads!!
    LOL

8. Steve & Lo

May 22, 2007
    Tennessee
    Knighton5.....good luck! I hope things work out for you. Do you know if the lease is a "Walkaway"?? How much are your payments gonna be? What kind/year truck?? There was a girl from WA that went through my business management class last week. She seems to stay plenty busy over on that side of the world....

I'm really glad that I went through that class. I've noticed that I'm watching my shift points and my cruise control closer....and I'm up to 6.32mpg's !!!! :biggrin_25520: I was already in the top 30% @ 6.16 before the class. I had them turn my truck up to 76mph and have run it up there a couple of times to clear traffic.....but I find myself settling back down around 67-68mph once cleared....

The other class I had to take was the Smiths System safety course. I've had it before.....but, it seems like I see something different every time I take it.... I've been applying most of the principals for the last several years. But, I can't help but notice how many drivers don't follow the guidelines..... Especially following too close.....I know this is my weakest area....we're always in a hurry....and don't want anyone getting in front of us....cutting us off.....

9. Steve & Lo

May 22, 2007
    Tennessee
    Let's see.... I DID LIE IN MY LAST POST....DIDN'T MEAN TO, BUT BETTER TO SELL IT SHORT THAN BE ACCUSED OF PADDING MY #'S

Soooooooooo.....here they are....

Got my settlement statement thru the e-mail Thursday......

I was dispatched on 2560 miles last week
    with a total revenue of $3961.46
    which works out to $1.547 per mile
    with Fuel and Fixed costs of $2485.88
    leaving me $100.00
    well.....I did put $1375.58 in the bank for SWMBO to play with...

OK....some of you will say that I'm getting ripped off.....but, for me,
    $.576 per mile in my pocket is pretty good.

I know it will get better after I get my own truck.....or will it? I don't know. Not having to worry about replacing a motor, tranny, or any other major parts really does take a lot of the worry out of the equation.

Well.....it's time for bed....gotta deliver Food Bank items to 2 different Church groups in the am.....One in Springfield, IL.....the other in La Salle, IL... Hopefully, they'll deadhead me all the way up to Sturtevant, WI and load me up with some of that HAZMAT that pays SOOOOO good for Monday morning!!

You folks have a good weekend....and be careful out there.....Like my daddy says.... "You're entering the most dangerous environment in the world....The National Interstate System."

10. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Texas
    Sounds like you got a good fleet manager, which is key. In my last go around with this company, it was a fight almost every week to stay out of NYC between me and my fleet manager. Back in the early 90's, it was a differfent story, as I had a good fleet manager that ran me like crazy, and actually listened to me.

11. slick50

slick50 Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2006
    McKinney, Texas
    Run that Detroit series 60 at about 1350 rpms; get your overhead done at 60,000 miles; get Centramatics on both steers and drives; and don't buy fuel off the network. Sounds like you're on your way. As you know I took my Prime bonus and used it as a down payment on a new truck, so figure your numbers with only $1500 a month truck payment... My formula for success is: 500 miles a day X 300 days a year X 1.35 per mile (loaded and empty) - fuel ($2.75gal X 160,000 miles @ 6.5 mpg) $63,461 - insurance ($250 mo.) - base plate/permits - $1500 mo truck payment - maintenence fund = Good money for trucking. Plug in your own numbers and figure it yourself. Sitting never pays!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.