Time to buy a new semitruck, but not sure what brand

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Flatbed1991, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    I sample oil in all our equipment at the recommended oil change interval. It provides good information.

I am always amazed though that someone will keep running oil until it samples bad. This means that the oil has been bad for at least the time that it takes to get the sample back, plus the time that it has been bad prior to sampling, plus the time between receiving results and actually getting in to get it changed. Talk about stepping over dollars to pick up a dime.

cke, Zeviander, johndeere4020 and 7 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I’m not getting the OPS. I’m using an Amsoil product. I’m planning on getting it on sometime within 2 weeks when I’ll be on time off. Ol’ KR has a lot of good info but I don’t agree with him on everything.
    I do the grease job at my current oil change interval of 50k and I’d probably keep doing that along with the filter changes continuing at 50k. The system from Amsoil with filter is 346.00. Every 50k Miles I’d change their filter and those are 58.00. All I’m adding in a typical 50k service interval is an additional 58.00 filter and a gallon of makeup oil, the capacity of the EaBp120 filter.
    The system cost pays for itself in the reduction in fluid costs from doing fewer oil changes and in fewer engine related problems down the road. I’m not getting rid of this truck at 400k like a fleet does. I need to keep it closer to 650k so I have enough in it to trade it and not lose money on it. An oil bypass system on an EGR motor is going to save you money when it has high miles. The reduction in contaminants and soot does a lot to increase engine life. Even if it only results in a 25% longer oil change interval, it’s still worth it. Synthetic blend FA4 oil isn’t cheap, I’m not running cheap mineral oil in this thing.
    My oil sample is done every 20k Miles with Blackstone Labs for 29.00. That includes the additional price I pay to run the TBN and the TAN. You need BOTH those values to truly know if you can safely extend the drain interval. TBN alone isn’t enough.
    It’s not as expensive as you’re thinking. I’m keeping the truck another 450-500k Miles, dramatically reducing engine wear, increasing drain intervals by an estimated 50% (I won’t know for sure until I sample it but, I’m confident in that number), I already do samples so that’s not an additional cost, and in a typical service interval of 50k miles only adding one additional filter to change and a gallon of makeup oil, all I have is an upfront cost of 346.00 and a couple hours in labor at the dealer to put it on. It’s not only about oil changes but an overall reduction in maintenance.
    The typical full flow on your truck, depending on the motor, 20-40 micron. This bypass filters down to 2 micron at 98% efficiency and removes soot less than 2 micron at 33% efficiency. A 20-40 micron full flow is leaving a lot of trash in your oil.

cke and daf105paccar Thank this.
  4. Humblepie

Humblepie Pontificator

Dec 25, 2018
    I think oil samples can provide great information on what is going on inside of the engine. I don’t use them, as my service intervals are 10 to 12k as per the manufacturers recommendation for my application. But I could see the benefits of oil analysis

cke, snowman_w900 and Oxbow Thank this.
  5. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    If I were to get a sample that’s bad, and I haven’t, I’d shorten the sample interval. And repeat if it happened again. The motivation for the bypass filter is not just oil changes but an overall reduction in maintenance. My past experience with a high mileage EGR motor could have been avoided had it run on clean oil during its life instead of soot heavy, abrasive oil.

6. Humblepie

Humblepie Pontificator

Dec 25, 2018
    B
    But it’s not really a reduction in labor cost. My last oil change was like $400 oil and all. I mean do as you wish, I just don’t see a benefit to them. Also, I would suggest you grease the truck more that 50k. You will see premature wear on serviceable components for lack of grease.

cke, PoleCrusher, Ruthless and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Humblepie

Humblepie Pontificator

Dec 25, 2018
    Grease and oil are cheap compared to metal.

cke, Zeviander, PoleCrusher and 3 others Thank this.
  8. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    If you check out some videos by the guy, Rawze you’ll see what I mean about soot and how a by pass filter will help you a lot. My Cummins I had was the same way. If you aren’t doing something to get the soot out of the oil, it’s killing your motor. If you aren’t keeping trucks long, like large fleets, it doesn’t matter because you trade it quick and the next guy gets to deal with it. If you’re going to keep it awhile you may as well do it in the beginning to avoid those issues.

9. snowman_w900

snowman_w900 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2010
    50k on a grease job, wow....why would you wanna abuse your equipment that way?

10. Humblepie

Humblepie Pontificator

Dec 25, 2018
    Yes, I know all about rawze. Even meet the guy and watched him cut the block on a Cummins. If you leave the oil in for the 50k they recommend yes, you are asking for problems. He will also tell you the best way to keep soot out is to maintain your emission components. I am not opposed to bypass filters, but just don’t claim to be saving all this money from them. KR claims that it saves so much, and that’s just not true.

PoleCrusher, Oxbow and snowman_w900 Thank this.
  11. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Our equipment includes excavators as well as trucks. It costs me 22$ per sample through Cat.

We run Delo 5w 40 full synthetic , but still change oil at recommended intervals (10-12k). The biggest reason for the synthetic oil is easier starting and less engine damage at sub zero temperatures. I pay $19 per gallon for the oil.

I do not run over the road anymore, and our trucks don't run all the time, but the cost of oil is such a small amount of the expense of running a truck that I believe it is foolish to try to save money by extending maintenance intervals to ridiculous extremes while increasing wear on engine internal components.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.