Time to move on...

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by JReding, Feb 16, 2019.

1. olddog_newtricks

olddog_newtricks Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2018
    You have to do whatever is right for you. Otr will definitely take a toll. Good luck with the new gig.

JReding Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    I don't blame the OP at all. The OTR, gone for days and weeks at a time, is just something that I can't even fathom doing anymore.

Yeah, I did it the first couple of years of my career in trucking (out of necessity) to learn the ropes and because I was hurting for income after the start of the great recession in 2008, however, I knew right away that kind of lifestyle was not for me.

I wish you well on your newest adventure.

Broke Down 69 and JReding Thank this.
  4. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    I’ll keep it under advisement, thanks. I’ve seen the Market Express trucks all over the place here, I was wondering where they came from. Funny thing, Wilson recently traded yards with them in Portland. Bad decision on Wilson’s part, we’ve already run out of room there.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  5. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Yes, the guy who runs Market Express operations is Mike Olsen.

He was with May Trucking for years and went to work for Pete at Market Transport years ago.

He remained with the company's who acquired Market Transport.

When Pete decided to come out of retirement, Mike Olsen went back to work for him as Operations Manager.

Like I said, take it with a grain of salt ;-)

JReding Thanks this.
  6. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    Some general thoughts:

OTR isn’t quite a world to itself. It’s comprised of the specific job description, AND being gone.

I could see where some local/regional work would just be too much given OTR. Driver-dependent in some ways.

I say this as my job description is essentially line-haul (drop & hook; only the occasional live load/unload; both of which are exceedingly quick). Most of the job is in the trip planning as on-time is the game against highest fuel mileage.

One has an appetite for the particulars or not. If I was home every five days, it’d feel like I hadn’t done anything. It’s too short a period in which to make money. At about three weeks or so, time to get out.

In turn, my hat is off to anyone who works a major metro region with a 53’. Daycab or not. Being home “mainly” wouldn’t make up for CONSTANT heavy traffic volume to my sensibilities as a driver.

When I can arrange my days to start around 0300 and end by 16-1700, it works very well. I find it a pleasure to be in different parts of our nation as my weeks accumulate.

What’s at home doesn’t need me if I’m not there. I made my first cross-continent trip in the backseat of a two-tone 1959 Dodge in the summer of 1962. I was hooked.

It’s not too much of an adventure today, but I’m no kid either. The truck and the Internet tools make all aspects of trucking easier than when I started in the 1990s (though “better” can be debated).

The changes in the civilian workplace since 1970 are what I wouldn’t want. Too many to list.

Sometimes the very best part of being OTR is when, with flaps retracted & gear up after take-off the sure knowledge I’m NOT going back to THAT place (and those people) again.

Accelerated health deterioration is simply part of being a truck driver. Home often means a bit more control over details (it’s the chronic fatigue from vibration. Not diet or exercise, those are secondary).

The second aspect about health is control. The workplace with myriad rules & expectations (many local jobs), exerts its own toll. Owning equipment & authority is that counterweight. So keep expanding your envelope of considerations about arresting the rate of your long-term decline.

The goal is in avoidance. Avoid being gunshot or a serious car wreck. That’s #1. Second is in hitting age 60 without serious chronic health issues (many of which involve choice).

Those who avoid both #1 & #2, enter the final approach on a gentle glide path. Truck driver or not.

Same home address, church, family & friends are the other part. For decades. Not five or six years here & there. With different Toms, Dicks & Harry’s. Wives. Step-relatives.

Good luck

Opendeckin, Truckermania and JReding Thank this.
  7. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    I love OTR. Different strokes for different folks. The only thing that would keep me local would be if I had kids.

JReding Thanks this.
  8. YeaImRJ

YeaImRJ Bobtail Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Same here. I’ll even stay in a random city for my 34hr & go out. I’m also young, anti-kids, & anti-marriage.

Opendeckin Thanks this.
  9. Bill51

Bill51 Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Best of luck to you. Up and down 5 isn't too bad most days, if you time it right.

Seems you'll be in a good spot, leaving Portland when everyone else is trying to get in and vice versa.

JReding Thanks this.
  10. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Agree with OP, an OTR trial was enough for me, too much sitting. Movement is life.

JReding Thanks this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I consider myself having been very fortunate to be able to have done that long haul. It's not for everyone and we have to go through so many just to find a small number able to stick with it one little year. My own spouse was one of these, through no fault of her own. I ate the same she did, sometimes going without so she can have a meal and not wory. Well.. her Body being what it is and the foods we ate and drink was supposed to be good, however the changes we saw were definitely not good and needed fixing. (And it was... in a way... Cancer was the one thought no one thought of all this time.) Looking back on that it fits nicely.

JReding Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.