Timing actuator on an 09 ISX

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Brookville116901, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Brookville116901

Brookville116901 Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2018
    I have a 09 Cummins ISX and it has split 5 timing actuators on the rear bank of cylinders in the last 4 months and no one can give me an explanation as to why. Any ideas out there

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    Bad injector on the rear bank or check valve in IFSM. Injector pushes fuel back in timing actuator with huge pressure and split it.

RSB34 and 86mechanic Thank this.
  4. Long1242

Long1242 Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2018

5. Long1242

Long1242 Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2018
    I’m having the same problem but it’s not my injectors I pulled the first three out and put in the back and pull the back three out put in the front still blowing the bolts on the same timing actuator replaced fuel regulators and rebuild the dampeners on the back of the IFSM this did not start until I put a new head on iT could it be a bad head it will break them between 250and 1000 miles

6. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    Is new head was new or reman? If it's reman the accumulated stress can lead to tiny cracks around injector from combustion chamber to timing bore. During the hard pull the head got hot and gases blow in. If you have injector leak tool Cummins ISX / Signature Engine Fuel Injector Leak Test Kit 3164001 Alternative | eBay or you can make it use the broken actuator base part then check is air is bubbling out. How it to do Watch all 3 parts. So you can narrow to cylinder where leak is. Could be more then one bad cylinder.
    Try to run this test on hot engine because the temperature will open crack wider.

7. Long1242

Long1242 Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2018
    Ok I’ll try it when it’s hot it didn’t have any bubbles when we did this the last time thanks for the help
    Is there any thang else that could cause it in the ifsm

8. JohnB001

JohnB001 Bobtail Member

Jul 15, 2019
    My truck has been sitting for about 5 months the guys who are rebuilding it took their time to do a terrible job my problem is I got a new head and cam put on now the engine smokes like crazy and it's Non-Stop at idle and also even heavier smoke with a load what could this problem possibly be I put a new EGR valve on in December but that's it somebody please help me with this

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.