Timing metering actuators cm570

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by vicdsm, Dec 3, 2018.

1. vicdsm

vicdsm Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2009
    new york
    Hi everyone, so I did the rawze inspection (somewhat) on my metering and timing actuators off of the ifsm. My truck is a 2002 9400i cummins isx i assume cm570 no egr and built in 2001.
    Anyway i took each one apart seperatly and cleaned them but before putting back together I checked resistance at prongs on coil.

What is normal resitance??? Because they were all different rear meter at 1.0 ohm rear timing at 1.5 ohm front timing at 1.2 and front meter at 1.3 after cleaning and in resting position. The rear timing at 1.5 ohms , when pushing in plunger plate quickly jumped to like 2.7 ohms then back to 1.5 which was wierd compared to others. I read in one of rawzes write ups another person saw .5 ohms on "good" actuators but off of a cm871 so dont know how similar they are. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Cummins spec is 0.1 to 0.8 ohms with a digital meter.

vicdsm Thanks this.
  4. vicdsm

vicdsm Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2009
    new york
    thank you for the look up Heavy D , going to start by changing out the worse one since they are pricey ,will ask to inspect prior to purchase and put a dvom on it (hopefully not bagged) and will update.

took interest in this because I dont have check engine light but have slightly rough idle , its a 475 but i have driven 450 that feels like they pull better (empty). did all the basic maintenance when it comes to fuel filter oil air filter coolant filter. dont know if it had overhead done but will see if changing one of these improves it some , if not im selling it off.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  5. vicdsm

vicdsm Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2009
    new york
    UPDATE: so I replaced the one timing actuator that had 1.5 ohms resistance. I took it off again before picking new one up at cummins. Check resistance again and was now at 3.0 ohms took it apart again took plunger back out still between 1.8 -3 ohms and this time i noticed the plunger was loose on plate.... anyway installed new one and noticeable difference in idleing also feel better response when accelerating and wierd enough truck runs about 5degrees cooler and temp doesnt climb when pulling a 3 % grade by same 5 degree margin..

If you buy a reman i highly suggest to do ohm test before installing better yet do ohm test if you go to dealer ask to inspect. My new one was at .8 ohms.. ive read stories on remans not working . I can tell one of my metering is a rebuild by the orings used and mainly because how loose the bolts holding housing were...

You can clean your current ones with brake cleaner and i suggest taking the plunger on the disc side has watch battery disc that you can take out with magnet , clean and install reversed so unworn side seats into bottom base of actuator.

CraigInReston and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.