Tipping mechanic

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Mudflaps, Dec 25, 2016.

1. sbaumann14

sbaumann14 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Rhinelander, WI
    I had the trl in the Nashville TA last month for ABS issue. got finished and truck wouldn't start. 2 mechanics took 30 min and traced it to the battery kill switch, which we re-attached directly to the batteries. no charge. I gave them both $40. seemed fair

Ruthless Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. thejackal

thejackal Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2014
    detroit mi
    Best tip I ever gave was don't eat yellow snow.

4. plentygood

plentygood Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    USA / CANADA
    Never found tipping necessary.

5. drumtrucker

drumtrucker Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    and today, I pulled into a TA shop to get my Traction Control System and ABS warning lights checked out. I am about to buy a new truck and don't want to spend any more $ on this one, but since it's winter and those 2 features are nice to have... Was informed that a 1/2 minimum, about 55 would be charged to just physically examine for broken wires, but for 105 they would hook up the diagnostic computer. I reluctantly opted for the computer.

While the technician was diagnosing we were talking and I commented on the price difference, which he was unaware of. He told me he would tell the desk he just looked it over and not mention use of computer. (was an open ABS valve circuit which I opted to leave alone for now).

When he came out as I was going in to pay, he told me he succeeded, I slipped him a 20...

6. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Back when I was in high school I worked at the local Kubota dealer. There was this old gentleman that had a small lawn mowing business. He would come in and have us sharpen his blades and would tip $5. I will say this, when he walked in the shop, he got immediate service. We would drop whatever we were doing and fight over who would help him. I actually think that's all he paid, he was such a good customer, I think the boss just overlooked it and let it slide.

That being said, I don't go to a shop much but when I do I don't tip. If you frequent the same shop often, I could see maybe giving a tip. Once you get to be known as a tipper, it would probably get you a little better service than just somebody off the street.

7. iRookie

iRookie Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2015
    Just remember; Giving has never made anybody poor in the history of mankind, your intention should be good and it will do wonders.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  8. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    TIPS tips tips everywhere.How about someone tips me for once.

9. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    Tip means To Insure Promptness. The idea was to get better serves you would slide a bill to the person. Mechanics are professionals. Just like Doctors. In fact it is the same job as a doctor just with a non living thing. So do you tip a doctor? No, he charges more then enough. So tipping a truck doctor would be wrong also.

That being said, I have tipped when it turned out to be a lose wire or something and they did not charge me for it. I didn't make it a tip, I gave them $40 and said lunch was on me. That isn't tipping that is showing them you actually care.

Big Don Thanks this.
  10. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Well, I suppose you could try cow tipping...:eek::D

sawmill and not4hire Thank this.
  11. iRookie

iRookie Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2015

Here's a TIP just for you;

DRIVE SAFE! ;)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.