Tips and Tricks of flatbedding

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Flightline, Feb 23, 2014.

1. terrylamar

terrylamar Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    If you ever deliver to a place using conveyer belts or even a distributor, ask for the cut offs. They, usually, just throw the trimmed edges and ends away.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Naptown

Naptown Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Indiana
    One of my regular stops is a fab shop that makes conveyors. I know what I'll be asking them the next time I'm there.

I posted a while back about folding tarps with bungees on the siderail, and everyone in that thread acted like I was a moron. Never did find out how it's done.

Jamael Nettles Thanks this.
  4. terrylamar

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    It seems to be a Maverick thing, I've seen it done once. I don't think it would be hard to figure out.

5. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    I'm with Maverick, it's a cool way to put the tarps away, but, when you unfold them, especially when their frozen, well, I don't do it anymore...

6. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Google Uvex Safety Glasses. Owned them for years and never had an issue with them. They have clear, yellow, tinted and mirror interchangeable lens if you need an extra. We use to issue them at a nuclear plant I worked at. We couldn't keep them in stock. They look good enough to be your personal driving glasses and everyone wanted as many pairs they could get their hands on.

I always store my glasses in a case or with the arms open. When you fold them up and they rest on the lenses is when they get messed up. But them Uvex's are pretty scratch resistant.

7. Lucar

Lucar Road Train Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Texas
    Keep your straps rolled on soft end then roll them towards the hook. Store them on the opposite side of the trailer winches, this way when you strap you hook them first and then throw them over. It beats the walking around the trailer to hook them up after you've thrown them.

8. BAYOU

BAYOU Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Beaumont,Tx
    I've got all kind of tricks I've learned over the years....one of my favorite is I took a small tractor tire tube and cut it in strips after rolling my straps I rap it with a strip it keeps it rolled tight.

When it comes to folding tarps in high winds most people have screw drivers in there truck find some grass I put one in each corner and lay a chain in the middle fold one time stake it go to the other side repeat sometimes I have to lay the extra chain out the end of the tarp to hold it down.

9. terrylamar

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I tried this for awhile. I used the precut bands, same difference. It turned into more trouble than it was worth, especially with the straps with the chain. Now I just roll them tight, with the hooks on the outside pointing down, and stack them upright. They don't move or unroll. I still have problems with the chained end.

Those rubber bands are perfect for your ratchet binders. If you have problems when you hang them with the down end unscrewing, put one end of the rubber band over the handle and hook the hanging end to it, it will never unscrew again.

Odin's Rabid Dog and Rollr4872 Thank this.
  10. terrylamar

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    You will have problems unfolding a frozen tarp no matter how it is folded!

Cabinover101, Rollr4872, RERM and 2 others Thank this.
  11. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    or hang the end of a chain in them, I hang a ratchet on my rack, one chook goes next to the ratchet , the xcess chain is put in the tray and the other hook is on the other end of ratchet the hook hanging down about 8 inches and the chain hooked to ratchet end,

Okie89 and 281ric Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.