Tips and Tricks of flatbedding

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Flightline, Feb 23, 2014.

1. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    Isn’t @Flightline trying to keep his back sleeper door exposed?

snowman_w900, SAR and spyder7723 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Yes. He used to have a drom box there with a side door. It was fantastic.

@Flightline did you get another truck or did you fix the pete? Why not build another drom box? That was really really slick. Was there a negative with it that I'm not aware of?

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    cke, Lepton1 and Tug Toy Thank this.
  4. Flightline

Flightline Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    Same truck. Drom box gone. Built it myself with steel frame which made it little heavy.
    Looking to do something little simplier this time.

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  5. Slowpoke KW

Slowpoke KW Road Train Member

Dec 7, 2015
    OK
    These folks should be able to build you whatever want.

Homepage - Brunner Fabrication

6. Flightline

Flightline Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    Yes Brunner Fab does a nice job, but little pricey for me. Looking to put together another box my self and looking for ideas.

Slowpoke KW Thanks this.
  7. Hotshot2trucker

Hotshot2trucker Bobtail Member

Jun 8, 2018

8. bocker

bocker Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2018
    Hope someone has an answer for this. I constantly damage 4 inch straps, mainly using kenodyne standard strapping. I just bought rino straps one load later when I get straps and see damage. I was in habit of using cheater bar and read I should not so this was done with standard bar length. My rachet channels have a bit of play so always have to tighten a little more than I want then when I release bar there set, that Is usually only a concern with things like foam panels and such, am I still just tightnitig too much,

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  9. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Good questions.

First, regarding the cheater bar, I have never used one. I do frequently put my body weight on the standard bar to get tight on pipe loads or bottom tools (oil drilling motors and collars...think long pipe, but up to 9000 lbs apiece).

There are loads where you can cause damage to the freight if you tighten too much. Foam insulation is one. Large air conditioning units are another (watched a guy jump on his bar to tighten a strap on one of those and bent the metal so bad they had to take that $150K unit off his deck for repairs...not good, especially with all the signs in the yard and in the shipping office warning about that).

Regarding strap damage, are you using edge protectors when necessary? Are you padding over sharp points when edge protectors won't work? Sometimes you have to take more time preparing to strap than actually strapping. I use cut lengths of old straps for most of the wierd sharp areas. It would be helpful to see pictures of the damage to your straps.

Kinodyne is my favorite brand of strap. I specced and sold webbing by the container load for years. Kinodyne has their act together regarding specifications and quality control. They handle better than any other brand in my experience, but I haven't tried Rino yet.

krupa530 and HillbillyDeluxeTruck Thank this.
  10. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Where are you seeing damage? Loose straps that flap in the wind take damage to the edges where they flap, especially if they vibrate. Of course you should be using edge protection where needed on sharp or rough surfaces.

Are you putting enough strap into your winches? I get preloaded trailers where they fed the strap through all the way before tightening, on loads with very little give to them. (Think ewp) They end up with sometimes less than one full wrap and that puts stress on the strap where it wraps around the edge of the winch. You should have 2 to 3 wraps around the winch.

krupa530, cke and Lepton1 Thank this.
  11. cke

cke Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Colfax Wi
    Are you putting a twist in the straps to keep them from vibrating??

SAR, krupa530, stwik and 1 other person Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.