Tips and Tricks of flatbedding

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Flightline, Feb 23, 2014.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Colorado
    So, way back in this thread somewhere was a suggestion on stake pocket winches. (https://www.amazon.com/49716-10-Por...pID=31lnvl21QZL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch)

I bought some, and I'm not at an assigned trailer company. Go here, get this trailer, go there, get that trailer, etc. But a couple places always have crummy trailers and not enough straps. Sucks throwing chain cuz it isn't secured correctly but there are no more winches available in the correct place on the trailer

BUT now

####!!!!!!!!!!

These things are worth every penny.

Grab one out of the tractor, toss it in a pocket, throw the strap, tighten, done.

If they aren't in your grab bag of tricks, they should be, and I thank whomever brought them up originally.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    stwik, cke and Lepton1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I've seen those on other trucks and I have been looking to get my own. I have twenty winches on my own flatbed, but often the placement of securement isn't precise enough for my taste. Being able to use stake pockets would really benefit me.

Tug Toy, stwik and cke Thank this.
  4. LoneCowboy

Oct 6, 2009
    Colorado
    worth every penny. I bought mine too (since work does supply most everything, but that isn't one of them)
    so much easier than those winches with handles (that are such a giant pain to set up and you can't get them nearly as tight) or throwing chain.

I expect as other people see me using them they'll start to realize 'hey, those are brilliant"

5. earnies2

earnies2 Medium Load Member

May 17, 2012
    Dedham, MA.
    I own 4 0f them they're great if you need a winch over your dules or over your trailer tires

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  6. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    I carry around 10 2” straps and hand ratchets and 10 4” hand ratchets. Some with flat hooks and some with chain ends.

I can’t think of a single thing a hand ratchet can’t do that a pocket winch can. Lots of things a pocket winch won’t do that a hand ratchet will.

Trailers with no pockets, choking a load, very wide loads that pull out the sliding winches out, hooking the the stretch section of a trombone trailer, ect.

I can get hand ratchets just as tight as a winch but I also use a 2’ winch bar 99% of the time. I can’t remember the last time I used my long winch bar.

fargonaz, Lepton1 and cke Thank this.
  7. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    I use my stake pocket winch when I throw a 20 foot strap and I needed a 21. Lot easier to use it or a portable than to wind up the strap and get a longer one.

Lepton1 and kylefitzy Thank this.
  8. LoneCowboy

Oct 6, 2009
    Colorado
    hand ratchets are great

if you have 3 hands...........................

9. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    The trouble I'd get in if I had three hands.

krupa530, taodnt and Lepton1 Thank this.
  10. Nessmuk

Nessmuk Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2018
    What foot wear and rain gear?

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  11. Doing_flatbed_nc

Doing_flatbed_nc Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2016
    Flip flops and a t-shirt

Rollr4872 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.