Tips and Tricks of flatbedding

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Flightline, Feb 23, 2014.

1. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    I cant remember where i saw someone talking about dealing with the tail on a 4" hand ratchet so i will stick this here. I tried all sort of ways and this has been the fastest and most repeatable/reliable for me.

1. Throw your strap over [i hook first then throw a roll]

2. Hook your buckle on other rail

3. Just shoot the tail straight thru one time and let it hang, from outside corner to inside corner.

0813190843-1.jpg

4. Keep holding it up with one hand, leave tail where it is and click click click with other hand until tight. I use a cheater bar to finish.

0813190844-1.jpg

5. Fold up tail and lock it into handle

0813190844a-1.jpg

6. Short straps are nicest. If theres a lot of tail, tie it off with romex or solid copper scrap.
    0814191512.jpg

MACK E-6, npok, Lepton1 and 1 other person Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. npok

npok Light Load Member

Sep 26, 2015
    I do mine almost exactly the same.

What I can't stand is my coworkers (we help strap each other's trucks) ALL feed the strap through the spool and then feed it back through, so the tail sticks out the top. It doesn't accomplish anything except making it harder to deal with, from loosening the ratchet to dealing with the tail. I'm just glad they quit throwing hooks.

LoneCowboy and Lepton1 Thank this.
  4. FoolsErrand

Sep 15, 2017
    I am very glad no one else straps my trailer.. Id be undoing, rerolling and rethrowing half if it! I cant focus on the road if im worrying about whats on deck behind me.

npok and Lepton1 Thank this.
  5. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I used to use a lot of 2 in straps and run from Texas and other points to Alaska on a regular basis.
    I would need to tighten some of these at times, so would wind the tail up in a 8 or 19 inch roll and use duct tape to secure it a foot above the winch, with a couple wraps around the middle of it. That way I didn't have to mess with anything to tighten them up a few notches.

Some tail hooks on the 2 in ratchets are not stitched up too close to the ratchet itself, so that you can wind the tail up and slip it through the tail hook webbing just below the ratchet, when you tighten the rachet it clamps down on it and it will not move or come loose, the tighter you tighten it the tighter it holds it, if you leave a little slack in it, you can retighten it as needed without messing with anything else. I try to only but ratchets that have the room in them to do this.

On the 4 in straps, when using the winches with a lot of tail left over. I never slide the end through the winch, I fold it with 18 inches or so slack and slide the fold in the winch, there is no need to slide it through the other side. Do this with the tail on the back side of the strap, then fold it up how ever long it needs to be to have it pinched under the strap on the trailer without getting into the winch itself. When you are ready to take them off it is just a quick jerk and the strap is free, this works much better and quicker, especially when they are frozen.

booley, Lepton1, npok and 1 other person Thank this.
  6. FoolsErrand

Sep 15, 2017
    I have been told a few times fold tucked into the winch spool can get you a ticket in NC which is where i am most, or else id do that. Granted, you can get one for anything.

I have a funny way of doing 2" tails that a pic would explain better than words. Next time.

7. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Thats referring to short strapping which is a no no. Not to be confused with half strapping or any other versions of strap management.

skellr Thanks this.
  8. FoolsErrand

Sep 15, 2017
    Thanks didnt know that. Whats the difference between short and half?

9. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    They would have to show me a written law against it, it is no different than running the tail through, and no way am I fighting a frozen strap when there is no sense in it.

booley and LoneCowboy Thank this.
  10. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Running the tail all the way through pulling it even with the remaining slack then spinning up the spool, halfs the amount of tail to wind. Short strapping is folding the slack then jamming the fold into 1 slot of the spool and tightening it. Same result one is just smarter and won't get you a ticket

11. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Do whatever you want. Wouldn't do it on one of my trucks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.