Tips and tricks to loading a hopper

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by chandler14, Mar 10, 2019.

1. chandler14

chandler14 Light Load Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Just started running a hopper trailer. I know most will tell me its an art to loading one of these things with getting your weight right, but are there any tips to help me out.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Make sure the top is open and bottom is closed before you start loading. Sounds obvious, but you'd be amazed...

Feedman, motocross25 and intrepidor Thank this.
  4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I used to hate loading out of a chute. The material falls out at different rates, depending how full the silo is, so timing is out. It's going to take some time until you see where the top of the material is for a legal load. Far as axle weight, make a mark on the wall, or a beam, or the ground, and once you get a legal load, remember where you lined up with. Some places, I loaded right on a scale, naturally, that's the best, but otherwise, it's trial and error. That's why you never see a dump truck or hopper at a state scale, unless a DOT pulls them in.
    Sometimes you can see on the inside of the trailer, when to shut it off.

G13Tomcat and chandler14 Thank this.
  5. chandler14

Mar 2, 2015
    Im have "air weigh" installed in my truck but no air line ran to the trailer. Hoping to maybe calibrate just the tractor at least this week. Not too sure about that. The trailer does have an air gauge.

6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Wait, you say you have air gauges? Well, that's a horse of a different color. I had a gauge on my drives, and 62 pounds was about 34,000. Your life just got easier, my friend. What, the gauge on the trailer doesn't work? I'd have that fixed today!

7. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Load the truck to around 40 psi (assuming 60-ish is around 34k) in the front hopper, then pull forward and watch the trailer gauge. Stop when trailer is at its legal max. Should put you close...then adjust from there. If you were too heavy on the tractor, pull up a little sooner. If too light, let it go a little longer before pulling forward.

8. chandler14

Mar 2, 2015
    No its an "air weight" system it will actually read out my wieghts digitally within 300 lbs BUT there is no air line ran to my trailer so it would only work for my tractor. And its not calibrated to anything

9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    The gauge on the trailer should work off the air bags, there will be no separate line for the gauge from the truck, unless you have a gauge and spring ride,,,:biggrin_2559:

10. chandler14

Mar 2, 2015
    I understand that its hard to explain its a whole external system to whats currently on the trailer. I know the trailer has its own gauge, but the "air weigh" system is added to whats there. My truck is all set up for it to read the trailer and my truck on the digital gauge in my truck but my company has not ran the external air line for the trailer for that system yet.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.