Tips for new Werner Drivers

Discussion in 'Werner' started by IROCUBabe, Nov 18, 2008.

1. mtrcitykid

mtrcitykid Bobtail Member

Dec 20, 2008
    blue ridge,va
    Thanks for all the info on Werner

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jbennett74857

jbennett74857 Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Choctaw, Oklahoma
    I appreciate the input!! HAHA!

4. ulurhu

ulurhu Bobtail Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Florida
    Just an update to a message that I posted in this thread.

I was planning on going to Werner on 23 Feb -- it didn't happen.

I was originally going to retire from my state job (get a paycheck that I don't put the hours in for) and have the Werner pay would make up the rest. I looked more at the pay I would be getting and the math didn't look to good. But mainly I was concerned about health care coverage. My hubby is diabetic and is on a lot of meds and I thought that I would have a major interruption if I decided to go about a change.

So, I'm staying with my day job (it is still here) and look for an additional part-time job (which are just about non-existent). My hubby is out of work (again) and what I do get doesn't go very far.

I still want to eventually be a professional driver but I may have to go through a refresher program as I may not be able to get on the road any time soon. In the meantime, I got my hazmat endorsement since it involves a background check, I figured it would be at least a good thing to get now.

I'm going to use my time now to finish up a college safety program that I have been in for some time now. I have 4 courses left and it will be easier to finish them now than when I do go out on the road.

I'm looking for any part-time jobs that may open up so as I can keep my skills current but it doesn't look all that promising right now.

Eventually, I will go about being a driver it will just be later instead of sooner.

5. He Makes Me Laugh

He Makes Me Laugh Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Oklahoma
    jbennett- You are real close to me . I am in Shawnee OK .
    That is cool.:biggrin_25525:

6. jbennett74857

Feb 27, 2009
    Choctaw, Oklahoma
    VERY Close!!! That is cool!

7. He Makes Me Laugh

He Makes Me Laugh Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Jbennett:

Are you still going to get your cdl ? If so are you going to central tech in Drumright OK? My husband went there and said they are really good .

8. jbennett74857

Feb 27, 2009
    Choctaw, Oklahoma
    HE MAKES ME LAUGH

Yes I am going to school. we just started backing. I am going to Roadmasters in OKC. I wish I would have done a little more research before I went to them. Their protocal sucks!!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  9. Reeferdriver

Reeferdriver Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2010
    They should just go back to 10 hrs driving and 8 hrs. off duty, and allow split sleeper berth times, and not enforce compliance with it, it used to be better when the 8 by 10 was in effect as it had been scince logging was regulated in the 1930's. It would appear the current application of DOT logging regulations is more about the government experimenting with telling people in a safety related occupation when they have to sleep.
    Drivers cannot be expected to not stay up more than 14 hrs. it is not natural for circadian rythym the hippocrites at /DOT cant tell you you will be a better driver under this 11 hrs driving 10 hrs off duty and no split sleeper berth, it causes fatigue due to the lack of intensity of the sleep wake cycle.

10. newtruckerinohio

newtruckerinohio Bobtail Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Springfield Ohio
    Does anyone know what equipment comes in a werner truck? I.E CB,tv, anything like that?

11. JimTheHut

JimTheHut Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    You will have to provide your own cb and anything else that you want.
    It is pretty much the same with all companies.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.