Tire and wheel question

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by ohiobred, Mar 16, 2017.

1. ohiobred

ohiobred Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2010
    central ky
    I have a 2014 chevy 3500 dually. It has factory 17 rims on it with michelin tires. I have been told by a friend of mine i pretty well trust that has run just about every duramax they have made and puts 80k miles on em a year. he has never steered me wrong. Anyway, he told me that the front aluminum wheels and the outside rear aluminum wheels are different part numbers. He doesn't rotate any of his wheels. He said he thought the same as i do as far as rotating the outside rears with the fronts. but he says that he was wrong and doesnt rotate em anymore. He runs the rears bald and gets 30k out of the fronts. On my old 12 valve you can rotate all of the wheels. lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Slay

Slay Light Load Member

Jan 7, 2015
    If he is only getting 30 on a set of front tires he needs to have his truck looked at by a good front end man. I always put the new tires on the front and move the "old" fronts as a pair to the rear as needed. 80-90 k per pair of tires. And I do not pay for the michelin name.

UsualSuspect Thanks this.
  4. ohiobred

ohiobred Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2010
    central ky
    What kind of tires do you like the best? What kinda truck you run? I asked gm today about this and it they said the polished side should be on the outside. and the part number should be on the outside. well mine are on the inside. that means someone put the front rims on the rear and vise versa. They say you never rotate the front to the back for the trucks with the alcoa polished aluminum wheels. My buddy says he has run every tire they make and always come back to michelin's. He is a lot older and way more experianced than me. I sure as heck dont like the price. lol

5. ohiobred

ohiobred Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2010
    central ky
    let me correct myself he does the same as you. he runs about 30k on the front then moves em to the back. says he gets about 90k out of em.

6. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    On these dually trucks with polished wheels. Myself I have them broke down when I rotate. Wheels stay in the same position on the truck but tires get moved around. The reason is I don't want the dirty scratched up side of my aluminum wheels facing out.

You're going to get more miles out of your tires if you rotate them. That's a fact.

I just bought a set of Mastercraft Courser HXT's made by Cooper for my Ram. Pretty much the same warranty as the Michelins but a lot less money. It was gonna cost me $1,700 for six Michelins. I got seven of the mastercraft coursers for $1,257.00 mounted, and balanced. Money wasn't the reason for not buying the Michelins. I like a closed shoulder tire and the Mastercraft tires had it, the Michelins didn't.

Not knocking Michelins at all, they have great reviews.

ohiobred Thanks this.
  7. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    On steel wheel trucks I rotate front to RR at 10,000 miles and keep the direction of rotation the same. Then at 20,000 front to LF and repeat. I sold a F350 with 92,000 miles on it and the Firestones on the front were original.
    With aluminum wheels I run them as long as I can stand them or until worn out. On my 4500 Duramax that was about 50,000 on the Michelin steers. I would rather buy the tires than have my wheels getting hammered.
    A man posted good reports about some Good Years in Hot Shots? about a year ago.
    I run some lesser priced tires on a couple of local 3/4 ton trucks. Have lost respect for most all Chinese tires even if they say Cooper, Dunlop, or Toyo.

ohiobred Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.