Tire casing credit?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by JonJon78, Jul 14, 2018.

1. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    I just bought a new flatbed so I had to put new virgin tires on the flat I was renting before I turned it in. The rental had virgin Goodyears. Tires had roughly 6/32 left on them. I went to the tire shop across from Truck World in Hubbard, OH for the purchase of new tires. They gave me $30.00 per tire as credit. I thought I would have gotten more but according to them the majority of people are putting Chinese tires on trailers now therefore the demand isn't as great for casings. Does this seem to be the norm for you all with your tire shops? Unfortunately I don't have anywhere to store 8 tires right now otherwise I would have kept them. The tire shop is called Flynn's. I do like them as they get me In&out, they do M&D alignments, tire prices seem competitive, I don't pay sales tax in Ohio, and its basically in the same lot as Truck World so it's rather convenient.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Sounds about right.

If you have farmers in your area who buy them for their wagons or whatever ask what they will buy them for. Or you could even see what recap cost is, do that, then try to sell on your own. Lot of work for small difference in $ though.

Could have switched tires on new flatbed with the rental. If you wanted to run them down to 2/32.

JonJon78 Thanks this.
  4. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Not much casing value these days. Our guy will only take “A” 22.5 talls. No 24.5 or 22.5 low profile.

I think we get $30 also. I think a good quality recap gets a bit of a raw deal over a China tire.

JonJon78 Thanks this.
  5. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Where do you guy's find tire shops that give casing credits? Every time I've mentioned it in my town I'm looked at like I've got 2 heads. They wanted $10 a piece to take them. I gave them to a random guy with a dump truck to save the $40 for disposal..

Jacoooooooo and Tug Toy Thank this.
  6. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I wish I could get some used virgins.

Tug Toy and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  7. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    LoL, Used virgins.. Now there's an oxymoron if I've ever heard one..:3some:

Oldironfan and Tug Toy Thank this.
  8. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    That's about all your going to get. If the tire is over 3 years old(date stamped on DOT) the recapping plant will not take it if they have any standards.

Tug Toy and JonJon78 Thank this.
  9. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    Casings have always been a crap shoot. Whatever size tire l have is wrong it seems like lol;( although once in a while you get lucky. Around here a lot of dump/vocational trucks used to use 22.5 recaps on the drives. They've gone to offshore tires because caps have gone up so high in price. That hurts the casing value of 11r22.5. Last time l got a good price for 11r24.5 casings they supposedly they went overseas. I grabbed the money and ran lol

Tug Toy and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  10. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Same here. They won't buy casings, but sure want me to have them cap the casings I have. I really sense that the demand for caps has really dropped.

I know I won't run caps, but I won't run cheap Chinese, either. Ever since I went to premium tires, my problems with irregular wear and blowouts went away.

Oldironfan, special-k and Tug Toy Thank this.
  11. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Are talking tractor or trailer? I'm pulling a spread axle flat. I won't do recaps either.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.