Tire Miles per 1/32nd

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by KostaN, Aug 10, 2020.

1. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    If you are running a van, trailer maintenance is not that expensive. Grease the trailer every two weeks, the only other maintenance is breaks and tires. If you do get a Rental make sure it has a tire psi system. Personally I wouldn't rent a trailer unless it was for temporary seasonal work. You could pick up a decent van trailer for $5000 to $8000.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Not to mention that funny tire wear isn’t out of the ordinary. This will cost you a lot more then each 32nd. Honestly though just buy a #### trailer.

4. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    That’s crazy. I’ve rented trailers a few times and it was always a set monthly payment and I’m responsible for all maintenance. I just replace tires with used as needed and had no issues. Roughly $650-750 a month with a dry van.

I really want to be a trailer rental company lol.

skellr Thanks this.
  5. Yardhostler

Yardhostler Bobtail Member

Mar 1, 2018
    I can give u an example. Different company with a different rate per 32nd but same concept. You can run 10 thousand miles per 32nd. If u go over that as In excessive wear or uneven treadwear flat spots etc. Then you will be charged per each 32nd u went over. If you don’t go over you aren’t charged anything for any 32nds because the per mile rate such as 4 to 6 cents a mile covers the wear on the tire. The rental company I am referring to charged 36 dollars per 32nd if you go over but allow one free 32nd when returning the trailer due to everyone getting a different tread reading with the tread gauge. Does this make sense now? So assuming the tire has 10/32nds you should be able to get 100k miles?

6. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Bowman leasing. 318$ a month/3c mi maintenance

7. StevenSRKsolutions

StevenSRKsolutions Bobtail Member

Aug 10, 2021

Hello,

that rate should be negotiable. If your leasing a trailer they should have a tire program or option for you to be responsible for tires. Either program they will measure tread when you get issued trailer. So before signing you need to know exact brand used and if new the cost of the tire is divided by 32 to get the cost per 32nd. Even though no tire is ever 32/32 but that’s how it’s broke down. Example:

Tire is $350 brand new virgin - 350/32 is $10.94 so that is your cost per 32nd.
    They issue you trailer with 14/32 on tire and you return with 10/32nd you’ve used 4/32nd or owe $43.76 for cost of wear. Best bet is to just buy new tire upon return of brands they accept.

it’s the same as renting a truck and they give you full of fuel they expect full of fuel when they get back or it’s crazy price like $15/gal.

8. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    Any tire manufacturer will have lots of data on how a new tire wears much faster, as measured by 32nd's and the rate of wear decreases as the tire tread wears out.
    So it is a totally bogus way to charge anything.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.