TMC experience thus far.......

Discussion in 'TMC' started by Toona67, Jan 30, 2016.

1. miz860

miz860 Medium Load Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Philadelphia, PA
    It's really a concern for your health. There are people out there who have great backs and have a hard time flat bedding. wish you the best of luck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigT88

BigT88 Bobtail Member

Jun 28, 2016
    I am to start orientation on July 11, 2016 and go through the full CDL training and the 5 weeks with a trainer. I was told by my recruiter that I will get paid $500 a week while with the trainer and guaranteed $1000 a week when I am in my own truck. I was also promised to be home every weekend. But from the sounds of it, it sounds like getting home on Saturday and leaving back out on Sunday. This isn't a weekend, it's a (1) day off. I have been reading reviews on Indeed, Glass Door and on websites like here. To be honest, I am considering staying at my current job and stay away from trucking.

4. Toona67

Toona67 Light Load Member

Oct 23, 2015
    It really all depends on your fleet manager and the time of year. Most guys I ran into could get home Friday night if they had a good fleet manager. After my 6-8 week stretch of not being home until Saturday, we had a discussion and it started to get better. My FM was new at the time and was learning how to get things done.
    That said, it can be part of the life at times and if running like that for several weeks now and then is an issue, you may be correct on your career decision.

5. BigT88

BigT88 Bobtail Member

Jun 28, 2016
    I read how you guys had gone through like 3 FM's so far, how you would have from Saturday morning til Sunday afternoon off, etc and it made me think about this because if they promised you the same things they promised me and they didn't keep their promises with you, then they would do it to me. My brother drove for Schneider years ago and they fed him the BS about getting home every weekend. In reality, it was every 2-3 weeks and he had two small kids at home. A friend of mine who drives told me which companies to stay away from and to get what they promised in writing. I read other posts on here as well and it seems like what TMC promises and what is truth is two different things. One compared TMC as the Swift of flatbed trucking. Another talked about the mandatory weekly trip to Des Moines for the truck wash and white glove inspection and that TMC is run like the Marine Corps. I also read reviews on Indeed and Glass Door also to get an idea on what I am getting into.

I just got my answer from TMC on Monday, 2 days ago, and Tracey, the recruiter is already calling me asking if I have everything I will need for the training. I haven't gotten my DOT physical or my Illinois learners permit yet. I do have a job right now and can't spend every waking hour getting averything ready.

6. Highway Sailor

Highway Sailor Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Erie,Pa.
    Stop and talk to a tmc driver if you see him at a truck stop and ask all your questions. If it's on the internet it must be true

7. Highway Sailor

Nov 23, 2011
    Erie,Pa.
    Thinking about working for Toona67.

Toona67 Thanks this.
  8. Toona67

Oct 23, 2015
    We are looking for a CDL AX with air brake that lives in the triangle formed by Detroit, Jackson and Lansing......... :p
    Pay is hub miles (loaded or empty same) + a small cent per gallon, (like .0028 or something, but it is a 13,400 gal tanker). Home every night on the gas and oil side with the occasional overnight if you are on the propane side.
    Company picks up the whole tab for healthcare for the driver and it is a small amount for the family. The benefits are after 90 days.
    I realize you are in PA but if you know anyone looking for a job based out of southern MI, they are not a bad company to work for if you are willing to work. We have enough slackers and whiners already, a good driver could make a pretty good living running for this company and be home every night.

Highway Sailor Thanks this.
  9. Highway Sailor

Nov 23, 2011
    Erie,Pa.
    At the time of my post I was shooting from the hip regarding the past several weeks out here. Looks like I maybe looking at FM #4. Why would they assign a new to the job FM to an experienced hand? I already put my time in to learn the system. Now this is the second time they have assigned me a new FM just starting out. It's like I'm learning the system all over. Have a happy 4th.!

Toona67 Thanks this.
  10. BigT88

BigT88 Bobtail Member

Jun 28, 2016
    After getting that pushy email from my recruiter at TMC, I pushed back and told her if she can put it writing, everything she offered me, then I am in. She back peddled and said that there is times that I may not get home on weekends and that it was the nature of the business. She said that she won't contact me again and I can contact her when I am ready. She already lied once to get me, she lied again because she said that I'll be home 46 of 52 weekends. Another lie!!!

11. Toona67

Oct 23, 2015
    Lol, if you consider any email from TMC pushy at this point you probably are better off looking for another career path.
    As I have said before, OTR was not my gig but TMC and my FM were always professional and I do not feel I was ever intentionally lied to.

Highway Sailor Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.