TMC from the inside

Discussion in 'TMC' started by riverrat143, Dec 30, 2011.

1. 900,000-tons-of-steel

900,000-tons-of-steel Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Florida
    If there is any woman driver in that company with hair longer than collar length and it is permitted the company is guilty of breaking federal discrimination law.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ex88m/Het

Ex88m/Het Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2012
    NC
  4. 900,000-tons-of-steel

Aug 17, 2012
    Florida
    Was curious since the comment about the hair length. Talked to someone who worked there just today and he told me some of the staff screams at employees like they're children or an enlisted in boot camp. He said some have even got right up in trainee and drivers' faces while doing it. No wonder they want former military, those guys are conditioned to take it. Screaming at another adult from a position of authority to me constitutes abuse and has no place in the civilian world. I'd last about, oh, 30 seconds.

5. Ex88m/Het

Ex88m/Het Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2012
    NC
    none of that when i went though, it is very structured as it needs to be there is alot to do in a short time. everyone was nice and cool. i guess if you act like a fool they may treat you like a fool. there were no f-ups in my class . that being said act like a grown man .. or be treated like achild its your choice..

BigRedBigRig Thanks this.
  6. 900,000-tons-of-steel

Aug 17, 2012
    Florida
    The driver whom I referenced was not the recipient of said behavior but a witness. He didn't clarify if this was in a class or not but said he was embarrassed for the company and the recipient of said abuse. If the behavior is deemed offensive or juvenile enough to the point a boss or supervisor feels justified in treating an employee like that he should have just fired him or written him up or followed proper protocol (whatever that may be) for whatever transgression was committed. If I can get back in touch with him I will try and find out more specifics but I'm not sure if we'll cross paths again as he works for a company I was inquiring about and was there when I stopped in at one of their terminals and we got to talking. He seemed like a straight shooter and is former military himself so I'm assuming he had a fair grasp on the situation when he said there is no reason for treating another adult like that.

7. Huggibear

Huggibear Bobtail Member

Oct 10, 2012
    Alabama
    WOW! ThankYou so much! That is alot of helpful information. My husband & I do appreciate it. We do have a serious concern about the computer & map stuff though.Will they expect him to know that stuff really well starting off or will someone help him out with it? My husband has been self employed since 1996 had his own SMALL logging business with a crew of 1! :) Himself & sometimes me if I wasn't working.He is not familiar with computers & has just gotten started with maps is this something that could get him sent home before he ever gets started? He really would like to work for TMC & wants to be a flatbed driver more than anything.

8. JETTY0811

JETTY0811 Bobtail Member

Mar 4, 2012
    Moberly, Missouri
    I don't know of anyone who is treated that way. From my experience the office folk are too timid. They won't come right out and tell you if you did something wrong. They kind of beat around the bush, like they're worried about being politically correct. Its a great company to work for though. They have higher standards, some in this industry aren't used to that. Basically, do your job and man up if you screw up and you'll do fine.

9. 900,000-tons-of-steel

Aug 17, 2012
    Florida
    I don't know if this company would toss him to the proverbial wolves or not but TMC -appears- to have a much better reputation than many of the other companies hiring newbies. If I was going flatbed I'd probably give them a look and a chance but then again I do things a little different than most drivers. I interview the companies before deciding if I want to give them a chance to interview me. I have a list of MANY questions for companies and their responses are usually enough for me to gauge whether I want to take it to the next level or not.

What are you referring to when you say "computer?" You mean the Qualcom? He'll learn that in orientation.If your husband can read a map and follow directions he shouldn't have a problem. If he's not familiar with Google maps now is the time to become familiar with it as many drivers use it as a supplement to any directions they're given. He HAS to have excellent map reading skills and know how to navigate. He should begin his practice now. Here's a cool little questionnaire http://www.lizardpoint.com/fun/geoquiz/usaquiz.html to get him started on geography but he really needs to hone his map skills with a trucker's atlas and learn how to read it every which way. Odd number roads go north and south, even east and west.

Huggibear Thanks this.
  10. Thumper88

Thumper88 Bobtail Member

May 14, 2012
    Baltimore,Md
    This is to Huggibear .>>>>>>> How long has he been driving?

11. 900,000-tons-of-steel

Aug 17, 2012
    Florida
    Nobody said anything about the office folk.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.