TMC Orientation Story

Discussion in 'TMC' started by Coyote56, May 23, 2010.

1. Coyote56

Coyote56 Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Madison, FL/Cookeville, TN
    Hey guys, I finished TMCs orientation so I thought I would give you all an update on how things are going. Please keep in mind this is for rookie orientation.

Sunday - Check into the hotel, make sure you read the packet they give you and follow all of the rules. They don't care to send anyone home. Do not step on the grass, I watched them fire one of their drivers for this when I was there. They are not joking about it.:biggrin_25524:

Monday to Thursday - You will be on the 7 am bus and go into George's class. Monday will be your drug test and physical. You will spend almost all of this time watching some lame old safety movies and taking tests on the computer based training. This is very boring and you will be fighting sleep the entire time. Don't fall asleep. They have 3 cameras watching you at all times, its like an endurance test. If you fail too many of the tests you get sent home. The material is pretty dry but George seems to find a way to make it entertaining. :biggrin_25511:

Friday to Sunday - This is load securement training. They will teach you and you will get to do it on several trailers they have set up in another building how to properly secure loads to the flatbed trailers. I thought this was fun. Gets you thinking and working your muscles. You will also have to climb up a ladder on top of a 13'6 trailer to prove your not afraid of heights. During this period you will also have to pick up a 120 pound lumber tarp, carry it to the side of a trailer, put it on the trailer, pull your self up onto the trailer using nothing but your upperbody and legs. You will then place the tarp on top of a 40K pound steel coil and dismount the trailer. If you can't pick up the tarp, can't climb the ladder or can't pull yourself onto the trailer you will be sent home. You will also have to memorize the process for strapping down a steel coil and you will take a test at the end of this training.:naka:

Monday to Thursday - You will be driving their trucks. You will practice backing on the field and you will be going out with a training instructor. :Van:

Friday - You will be cleaning the trucks early in the morning, then go to George's class for some more lame videos and get your rental car assignments. :Red car:

My class started with 41 and finished with 16. We lost people for drug test failures, physical failures, test failures, tarp failures and driving failures. :biggrin_2556:

I have to say that I am not going to be staying with TMC and I am already going to another company tomorrow. I have nothing really against them, I have just found a company that is local and I like better.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nighttrain10

nighttrain10 Bobtail Member

May 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    not even going to give it a shot? Experianced driver orientation is a breeze. i was there for 3 days didnt touch securement drove around the block took drug test and physical. Gone before I got there.

4. lyon4343

lyon4343 Bobtail Member

Apr 25, 2009
    Plymouth,CT
    You said you didn't even touch securement? Really? I'm seriously considering coming toTMC from another flatbed company. I like this company overall, but its just the small little annoying things that can easily be avoided, like the automatic transmissions!!! Gone before you got there..That's a good thing.There is $$$ to be made

5. ctank9200

ctank9200 Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2007
    ashland city,tennessee
    Anyone going to TMC on July 6th. I worked for them for a year then came off the road last Aug. I am returning to them on the 6th of July.They are not a bad company. All in all I really enjoyed it when I was there the first time.

6. nighttrain10

nighttrain10 Bobtail Member

May 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Nope didn't touch it just same orientation bs. I think tmc is a good company they want you to follow their rules which really isn't a bad thing and you can still make good money give them a shot if you pm me I can have them call you let me know

lyon4343 Thanks this.
  7. Azeron

Azeron Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2010
    On A Truck, U.S.A.
    Man this was weird. A recruiter came to my school and blew me away. Then I called and spoke with 'Mr.No' Everything was different. The percentage program hooked me. In the end, they didn't seem to be too interested.

8. Sabre4x4

Sabre4x4 Light Load Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Lincoln, NE
    The recruiters tell you what you want to hear. For the real scoop this is the site.

9. milskired

milskired Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Plainfield, IL
    What is starting CPM pay instead of the percentage?

10. Ignatius

Ignatius Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Tanasi
    I can't find those figures on their site, but I can tell you mine was .38/mi. a year & ½ ago. I'm up to .40/mi. these days.

11. Doc Walker

Doc Walker Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    Once on your own after time with trainer, 3-6 months .30/mile, after 6 months .32/mile, after 12 months .38/mile. This is what I was told today by a recruiter named Gus.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.