TMC Orientation Story

Discussion in 'TMC' started by Coyote56, May 23, 2010.

1. sweetangel

sweetangel Bobtail Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Thanks I started to work on strength training to get me back into shape other than that I think I should be go to go.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bandits8up

Bandits8up Bobtail Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I'm taking my CDL test on the 25th, should start orientation on the 1st of November, can't wait to get there, with I could take the test now, but gotta put in the time, anyway, does anyone know how slow the freight will be this winter, and how many loads we can expect to get a week, starting at the beginning of winter will be challenging, but I think that's what is exciting about it.

4. bs64507

bs64507 Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2009
    St Joseph, MO.

Freight is usually slow for flatbed in the winter. Can't say how bad it will be this winter but last winter was really slow.

5. walstib

walstib Darkstar

The farmer's almanac is calling for a mild winter, they've been right so far this year, if they're track record holds true, hopefully what little construction will continue and people always shop more during mild winters than bad ones...Keep the hope alive!!!!

6. Bandits8up

Bandits8up Bobtail Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I'm already looking forward to spring, but I'll have a good 3 months experience in by then, just can't wait to get out to DSM to learn more, feeling like a kid again with all this excitement

7. miz860

miz860 Medium Load Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Philadelphia, PA
    I finish my cdl school on november 19th cant wait to talk to my recruiter to get to orientation.

8. TDriver4Life

TDriver4Life Medium Load Member

Can someone give me some insight into TMC? I have been driving for the past 6 years but just pulling a van trailer. I would like to get away from van freight. I have been wanting to haul flatbed for the past few years and I am no stranger to chains and binders and straps. I just had a few questions for you TMC drivers if you don't mind answering them?

1. What do you guys haul alot of?
    2. Do you sit for hours on end waiting to be loaded or unloaded like van and reefer drivers?
    3. Are you given plenty of time to get where you are going or do you have to run your butt off?
    4. DO you really get home for the weekend, even though it might just be for your 34 hour restart? Some is better than none:biggrin_25525:.
    5. Do they allow you to use toll roads or do you have to bypass them?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  9. Ignatius

Ignatius Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Tanasi
    Hope that helps you out. TMC is the first company I've driven for, so I have limited experience, but I can't really say much bad about them. They treated me fairly, and the checks were always there on time. They have their quirks, but so do I. I will say that you, as an experienced driver, may want to consider the mileage pay plan, instead of the percentage plan. Good luck to you.

TDriver4Life Thanks this.
  10. funderj

funderj Bobtail Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Lancaster, SC

Hi Newbie, I am also thinking about attending Tech. I spoke to Dave. He is ex Navy who came from Schneider. Do you know if TMC or Crete will accept students from Tech?

11. SCNewbie

SCNewbie Bobtail Member

May 19, 2010
    Rock Hill, SC
    I would stop thinking about attending Tech, and attend! The school is great and provides an excellent foundation for the next step(s). Dave and Jim are very good instructors and if you show you really want this, they will help you as much as possible.

As far as being able to move on to TMC or Crete upon graduation, I can only definitively answer for TMC and the answer is yes. I believe Crete requires 6 months experience, but I could be wrong.

During my orientation with TMC I was amazed as to how little training above and beyond getting your CDL some of these other schools provide. I found myself greatly ahead of the curve.

I hope this helps.

funderj Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.