1. disoba

disoba Light Load Member

May 7, 2013
    hello. I recently replace my good old 520 for the 750 and it work great, but here's a few things I noticed and I wonder if there is a way to change it on settings
    - When searching for a truck stop near my destination it show mileage from my current location and not from my destination address to the truck stop near, that is a big deal when planning the trip...(old 520 will show starting with the shorted distance from destination, not my current location which could be thousands of miles away..
    Other features that (IMO) where better on the 520 is for the remaining mileage appear very small and on the bottom, Personally prefer bigger numbers and on top right since is something we look at all times.
    Requires more clicks, rest areas are shown as truck parking, volume is called media, and the female voice sound sexier or with sore throat (lol)

Other that that I love it, is a great tool, I'm keeping fuel records, repairs, etc...

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    Dieselboss Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I use a 740. To get distance from a point, like destination, there are a couple of ways to do it.

One way, after you have entered the address, is to cancel route. Then click on magnifying glass, then click History. Find the destination address and click on it. Then click on SET ORIGIN. This makes the GPS assume you are at that address instead of your current location. From there you can search for truck stops that are near the destination or on the route.

Another way is to enter your origin & destinations and pick a route. Once the route is chosen, click on magnifying glass and truck stops and just scroll down the list until you find what you want, like nearest destination or the chain truck stop you want.

I don't think there is a way to move information from appearing at one place on screen to another place on screen.

I've had my 740 for nearly 4 years. I will replace it with a Garmin. Rand McNally doesn't support their devices. I haven't gotten a map update in at least 2 years. There are numerous bogus HazMat restricted routes in the database that are not in real world.

My advice is turn it off when you get parked. Unplug the charger when you aren't using GPS, keep it out of direct sun and keep it cool to prolong its life. Garmin gets fewer complaints. Rand McNally has had serious problems staying in business and let customer support slip.

disoba and Dieselboss Thank this.
  4. disoba

disoba Light Load Member

May 7, 2013

5. disoba

disoba Light Load Member

May 7, 2013
    Thanks tscottme, good advise and I guess that's what I will have to do if I want to find what's near destination...what a pain, in the old 520 a couple of clicks and I will have the info.on the screen, as the old say goes "if it ain't broken why fix it"..
    I'm starting to get disappointed the more I use it. now I discovered that the auto day/night background don't work and I have to change it manually...
    wish I had just upgraded the old one..

tscottme Thanks this.
  6. tscottme

On the 740 I can click on Guided Search, click on CITY then click POI (points of interest) then click on TRAVEL CENTERS and it will show locations of that type near the city. I use that method as a last resort when I cannot find truck stops & rest areas along my route. For example, there might be a truck stop or rest area one or two exits or a short distance beyond a customer. The above technique is also good if your are doing a 34 and want to find places in the area.

disoba Thanks this.
  7. tscottme

Cheer up. IYour old GPS is a RM, it was going to "break" soon anyway. LOL

disoba Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.