To The Newbies

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Jokers_Wild, Jan 20, 2007.

1. MADDOGPI

MADDOGPI Bobtail Member

Apr 27, 2007
    I was told in CDL school to not flash your lights at all because it makes you liable if that truck has an accident. Seems common curtesy has been replaced with being sued phobia.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ

Let me ask you this. If you are on a freeway and want to switch lanes you put on your turn signal and another vehicle see's that you want that lane so they put on their turn signal to move over a lane to let you in or they back off the hammer to let you in (not that anyone would:biggrin_2559:) if they have a wreck does that make you liable? If that is the case ask your instructor if you should just switch lanes without using your turn signal so you won't be liable!:biggrin_2559:

4. Honestengine

Honestengine Bobtail Member

Jun 19, 2007
    I'm listening and I am not on the road yet, this forum is a darn handy thing there rev. Christian myself and ham KC8ODT. see you sometime!:biggrin_25525::biggrin_2559:

5. sphipps70

sphipps70 Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2007
    very good post. I'm not a driver (yet) but this is very good information to know.

6. coastie

coastie Road Train Member

I'll add this, If you meet up with someone who been on the road for many many years, listen to what they are saying. Some has good things to tell you. On the same there are some that will BS you till your ear falls off. But if you see an elderly guy who looks as he been a million miles and back, good chance he going to lead you straight.

Two saying I remember clearly, and I do use them time to time,

1. Your not a professional until you park the truck forever, till then your still learning.
    2. If you think you know it all, Park asap. Your life will depend on it cause your going to crash.

Learn to talk to your dispatcher. Learn how to say No, and not upset them. If you can not make a run due to time explain to them, you'll be better off.

I'm currently living in the Philippines, and will be returning in 4 months or less to the states. But here they have signs all over the place,

Be Honest
    Even if others Are Not,
    Even if other can not,
    Even if others Will not.

Good Luck to All Newbies, Please by all means, BE SAFE.

Giggles the Original Thanks this.
  7. roadhog

roadhog Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2007
    No man's land, Ohio
    My hubby was just talking about courtesy last night when he called, seems he helped some guy retarp his load. The guy had been trying for some time, when my husband came out of the diner, he asked him if he needed a hand, the guy was real appreciative (he said the wind kept grabbing it). Hubby said when he got back into his truck there was some crap on the CB - (brown noser, suck up, why'd you help him it was a good laugh), hubby was really ticked, he said he sick of the see nothing, help with nothing attitude of some drivers. Tim (hubby) says that when you guys are out there, all you really have is each other, why not just be friendly and help pass the miles together! As a wife, I can see on this site there are nice, helpful drivers out there, it's a comfort, hopefully Tim can see a few of you and not just the idiot drivers out there...................Thanks, Lori

panhandlepat Thanks this.
  8. whispers65233

whispers65233 Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2006
    Boonville, MO
    Lack of common courtesy is not limited to the newbie driver. I do thank you for pointing some of the practices of drivers new and old that should be addressed. Observing the Golden Rule applies is all areas of life and comes in handy in trucking as well.

9. passingtrucker

passingtrucker Light Load Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Diamond Bar, California
    As a former driver trainer, I've learned/observed that a lot of these ill manners are the product of, not the drivers themselves, but the result of bad trainers not teaching newbies proper driver etiquette. There's a chinese proverb; "No such thing as bad students, only bad teachers." The number of ill-mannered drivers we veterans are observing, is a reflection of the quality of training trainers are giving to newbie drivers. If anything, its an indication that we need to regulate and standardize driver trainers !! Its my opinion that drivers should have at least 5 years of safe driving experience before they be allowed to become driver trainers. Currently, some companies are upgrading their newbie drivers to driver trainers after only 6 months (or less) of driving !! This is like the blind, leading the blind !!

engine312 Thanks this.
  10. LuckyLady7

LuckyLady7 <strong>Good Luck Charm</strong>

Nov 8, 2007
    South Carolina
    Some people don't know what "common courtesy" is or either there have forgotten what it means...common sense tells me alot but I learn so much from the vets of driving.....thank you again! :biggrin_25520:

11. eckz

eckz <strong>"Radio Rambo"</strong>

Sep 15, 2007
    Detroit, Michigan
    My dad has been driving all of my life, when i was 16 he began teaching me to drive, i drove his trucks my uncles trucks my grandpa's trucks, etc. People see me at the age of 25 and assume i'm a "rookie" and give me attitude, truth is i've probably been around longer than most of these people that give me the funny looks, age means nothing.

I agree with your post, and do pass this along every chance that i get, these things are in the top 10 things i tell new drivers at our terminal when i'm in town.. Thank you for the post, keep passin' it on guys!

AfterShock Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.