To The Newbies

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Jokers_Wild, Jan 20, 2007.

1. LuckyLady7

LuckyLady7 <strong>Good Luck Charm</strong>

Nov 8, 2007
    South Carolina
    I want to thank you for posting this and even though I wasn't taught "common courtesy" in school my mother taught me this when I was a child...it comes natural if you pay attention and treat others like you want to be treated....thanks again! :biggrin_25519:

fancypants and panhandlepat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ramblingmikey

ramblingmikey Bobtail Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Eastern, Va
    keep on with the info, im sick of hearing the older guys yell at drivers over the cb, instead of giving them some insight on why they are pissed.

4. fancypants

fancypants Medium Load Member

Apr 14, 2010
    nw pa
    Dont Talk ==== Ill help any time i can

5. Rookie24

Rookie24 Bobtail Member

Sep 23, 2010
    indianapolis, in
    Pay it Forward Fellas

6. Cristiana

Cristiana Bobtail Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Good advice! I'm new in this buisness, (one month) and I already experienced some of those problems. It's unfortunate how many careless drivers are out there!

7. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    Good advice

Virtue is; doing the right thing even (and perhaps especially)
    when no one is looking.

I've heard that, too.
    I've also heard that
    "Those who can, ....... do.
    Those who can't, ..... teach".
    :smt079
    Is it possible that both are correct? :smt102 :biggrin_25525:

Forgive 'em for assuming one is experienced enough to understand why they're bein' yelled at. Those with ample experience know why, ...... even before the yellin' begins. :yes2557:

8. Tenspeed70

Tenspeed70 Light Load Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Chittenden, VT
    I feel the lack of common courtesy on the roads these days is due to the feelings of anonymity many gain from never seeing the same people time and again. Years ago when there were fewer truck routes, drivers saw each other on a more regular basis, as well as seeing the same people in the truck stops, and even the bears.

This day and age things have changed. There are far greater numbers on the roads, and this being "lost in the crowd" allows some to treat others differently than they normally would.

A few blanket statements that may help new drivers: Common Sense; use it. Common Courtesy; never forget that it's another person you're interacting with and treat them as you would like to be treated.

One thing I used to always drum into my trainees heads is this, "Never, never forget who turns that key." You have the ultimate duty to be safe, dispatchers, shippers, receivers, and brokers all want freight moved. Another little saying I used was, "If you don't feel safe doing something, you won't be."

Just now as I am typing this a yellow day cab came into the rest area I am in, and was running the engine brake. As the two guys walked by I asked, "Why'd ya run the jake here in the pickle park?" He responded, "Sounds great, huh?!?" I then asked him what about the other drivers who may be sleeping here, and he gave me a look like I was an idiot and without another word walked away.

That sort of disrespect and total lack of courtesy is what seriously makes me angry. I didn't mean to go on a rant here, but this just happened and I am still grouchy about it.

Figures, I was about to post this and they came back out and jumped into their truck and jake-shifted their way back onto the big road. They must think they're funny I guess.

9. seawheeler

seawheeler Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Central, IL
    Great post guys & gal. I always try to pay it forward and every once in awhile it comes back to me. I'm just a wannabe driver getting ready to start school next week so i know not about the trucking industry. I think this problem very wide spread though, glad to here there are some like minded individuals out there that enjoy doing the right thing. Holding the door for someone, thanking someone for doing a good job and on and on.
    Odds are you are going to run into a few a holes everyday but don't let them bring you down, try to lift them up.

Just my 2 cents worth. Thanks for reading.

10. mrs.rblx

mrs.rblx Bobtail Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Springfield, MO
    As a four wheeler living in the 1-44 corridor of Missouri I have always flashed or winked my lights at truckers who were kind enough to let me on the interstate and then needing to get back over, I never knew I was to turn them off and on, so if I have ever blinded you I am super sorry. I will be more careful in the future. I will also pass this info on to the new trucker who I am here to support and gather info for. Thanks for keeping all of us warm, safe and fed, if it wasn't for the truckers we would have nothing! Stay safe.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.