Toaster Oven vs plastic trucks

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Tb0n3, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    I'm always looking at new methods to cook in the truck and was researching air friers. I found out they're basically dedicated convection ovens so I figured I'd look at convection toaster ovens.

Has anybody looked into the skin temperature of a toaster oven for truck use? I'm mostly concerned about if I put it where the microwave is now that it'll melt the cupboards or the vinyl sleeper curtain. I'm in an international LT, basically a Prostar.

It would open up a whole new world of cooking possibilities. Oven cooked chicken, roasted vegetables, or even pizza. I don't know. Just spitballing at this point.

Of course the one thing I want that I can never have is a better food prep area.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Don't forget those perfectly baked potatoes.

I use a toaster oven almost daily. The outside never gets hot enough to damage anything.
    Same truck as well. I use a small unit I got from Walmart.

86scotty and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    My toaster oven gets hot on the outside. I let the cord touch the back of it, and it melted. I think as long as it’s not touching the plastic, it’s will be ok.

86scotty Thanks this.
  5. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    If there is air space around it there is no problem, unless you let things like the cord stay in direct contact.

6. InTooDeep

InTooDeep Donner party survivor

Jan 17, 2016
    Carmichael CA
    We put some fire proof insulation around the cupboard with enough airspace to allow it to vent been using for a year now no problems.

stuckinthemud Thanks this.
  7. Qbf594

Qbf594 Road Train Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Southern Canadian annex, NY
    Instapot....75% of everything I eat is from the little instapot. It even say yes and makes rice and hard boiled eggs....
    Cold outside except over the steam vent.
    Whatcha cooking in the toaster?

homeskillet Thanks this.
  8. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    I actually have an instant pot. I've collected so many things to cook on. I've been cooking on a blackstone 17" griddle off the catwalk, but before that I was using an induction cooktop with a pot and pan, and a george foreman grill sometimes. And before that I had the instant pot making things every now and then like pot roast, soup, or pasta. I've been on vacation for new years and have used the instant pot to make rice a few times and it's so easy.

I was thinking of using an oven for roasting veggies and making chicken, but there's so many options with it. I'm pretty ADD when it ces to cooking and always have to think for a while if I'm not just grilling steaks or pork chops on the griddle. Figure I need to start expanding my dinners from just meat as well.

homeskillet Thanks this.
  9. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    I use a propane grill and wrap veggies in a foil packet. Cook fish and lamb and just about everything on a grill in nice weather.
    Colder weather I cook in truck with a insta pot

10. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Do in you have a link to what kind of grill you use? Also, do you have any recommendations on instant pot recipes? It has gotten quite cold and snowy lately.

11. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Weird I was just thinking about this about an hour ago. Little different strategy though. Thinking if I get a deep baking pan and some tinfoil, I could baling wire it to my valve cover and have a nice roast waiting for me at my destination.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.