Too cool for a headache rack?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by justcarhaulin, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    That's where I don't like them.A trailer with a headboard looks crappy and doesn't allow you to hang anything over the front. When I was hauling long steel I could always haul a longer beam on a shorter trailer with not much of an overhang, made a big difference especially if I was going to a major city. It also made it easier to distribute the weight. As far as headache racks, if I was pulling a trailer without a headboard(and I always did), I wouldn't be without one.Not only would it allow me storage for chains, binders, straps,tarps and the like but it also gave me a sense of security. The best 500lbs I've ever strapped to my truck. Still have one in my garage if I ever go back to O/O skateboarding.

Lepton1, cke, BigBob410 and 6 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    I can store more equipment in a tool box mounted across the frame rails than I could on any headache rack that wouldn't block my rear window...and speaking of rear windows, a headache rack makes them dern near impossible to clean, which further restricts the view out of my back glass. That toolbox was also bought brand new for a fraction of what a used headache rack would've run me. I see no good reason TO have a headache rack.

...and that sense of security? It's a false one. You'd be better off properly securing your freight to avoid it moving instead of relying upon a thin little piece of aluminum to stop it.

4. Ridlingdj

Ridlingdj Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2018
    They have there place and sometimes they are in the way I'm just saying if they were mandatory our government would make them be installed on all new trailers and I liked the one i had years back hauling large square bales of hay i could push them up tight to the trailer rack and get a tight square load

5. Tombstone69

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    Never had a back window, lol.Headache rack saved my 6 many years ago,and chains and binders are a mother to separate once they get all tangled.Also they come nice and clean when streakin' Beacon can get at them. Man, people really hate headache racks, lol.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  6. Ridlingdj

Ridlingdj Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2018
    I dont hate them but it is extra weight that is not always needed but it depends on what you are pulling if a truck needs one or not I have 2 trucks 1 has it for chains and binders and one doesn't

Tombstone69 Thanks this.
  7. Tombstone69

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    0331191457a.jpg Poor headache rack, nobody to hang with except my coveralls.

whoopNride, Logan76, D.Tibbitt and 3 others Thank this.
  8. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    I use the 1 qt rubber feed bowls...1 chain per. Stack 'em up in the tool box, and never had an issue with tangled chains. Binders go in a bucket.

OLDSKOOLERnWV and Tombstone69 Thank this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If you saw what secured my headache rack in the company truck that load of steel beam will punch it. Then cab and me.

I was placed in that exact situation just south of stoney ridge I-80 truckstops at the junction of US 23 I think in Ohio when a yellow Lesabre 70's era convertable was in my own lane head on and coming fast with at least 6 drunken laughing teens one 4th july...

I managed to horse my ravens clear and only had the time to process the problem when that car passed my number one up ahead. I credit him for saving my life, and those of the stupids in that car. It was a real big heavy car and at 60+ against my 40 ton at 40 The beams complained back there but since i had everything on it (STrap and chain) it did not move. If it was not secured well as it was, there would have been a chance those beams would have spilled into the Buick and chopped and slice them into gore.

I don't want to think about it. I treat it as another birthday all around. I hope they had a good life since that day in the mid 90's and quit being so stupid.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    Tombstone69 Thanks this.
  10. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    The problem with a headache rack is that too many people place way too much faith in it when they have one.

And there’s nothing wrong with straps on steel.

cke, BigBob410, OLDSKOOLERnWV and 9 others Thank this.
  11. snowman_w900

snowman_w900 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Just kinda curious, but @x1Heavy, what movie was this story from. I swear I have seen this scene....just cant remember what movie you got it from.

Sounds like those 6 drunk teens needed some McDonald's coffee to sober them up, huh?

SAR, whoopNride, Brettj3876 and 14 others Thank this.
  12. @snowman_w900 my brain hurts you gotta warn a guy next time you do that. Lol

stwik, 7-UP, cke and 8 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.