Too old to start..

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Banker786, Jan 18, 2019.

1. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    If your body & mind haven't let you down why listen to what others say. My position is this if God has blessed me to keep doing certain things physically and mentally, I will keep doing them and learn new things also. I believe we get stuck in this "young age" time zone. We stop dreaming and only believe the get it done time is before 30. I can't wait to turn 50 in 5 months and as soon as my son finishes high school next year. My wife and I have big plans. Live your life to the fullest and dream. Learning is exciting and should never stop. All the best to you in your future.

NightWind, Zer0chick and LGarrison Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. freebeertomorrow

freebeertomorrow Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Indiana
    i see irony. you’re 54 and too old to start. i’m 35 (10 years in at this point) and too old to quit.

i say #### em and do what you want.

Zer0chick, Dan.S, Lepton1 and 3 others Thank this.
  4. LGarrison

LGarrison Road Train Member

May 19, 2011
    Sandpoint Idaho
    to begin with I'm not a dude I'm a veterans driver and I get sick of this ignorant stuff maybe someday you grow up and get out of that stage this is what's become of truck drivers now and it's going to get worse so now you can just go and say whatever you want just like somebody on a analligator radio

5. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    So... OP has a total of 2 posts, 6 months apart.

6. LGarrison

LGarrison Road Train Member

May 19, 2011
    Sandpoint Idaho
    Maybe he's analyzing his decision

NightWind, Wargames and Lepton1 Thank this.
  7. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Nothing wrong with that! I came from IT it took me about 3-4 months, and I am a lot younger.

Few years back I made a rule for myself to sit on decisions for at least a couple of months before acting... Helps to eliminate impulsive, emotional decisions that are usually not the best thing. Few months later, if I still feel strongly then its a green light. :)

8. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Pffft!!!!!!!!! To being to old! When I was driving I met a couple that were in their 70's driving for JB Hunt. They figured it was the easiest way to see the country on some one elses nickle. The fun part for them, they are getting paid for it.

NightWind, Zer0chick and LGarrison Thank this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If you still have a spine and don't think nothing of moving freight off the floor of the trailer up to 45000 pounds in a few hours to the dock by hand, then go for it. You would be healthier than myself and 90% of the people in that age bracket.

You would be more valuable in your later years versus say a younger pup at 21 age because you don't require much sleep and can get some miles put away without having to stop and sleep 9 hours or whatever.

Usually when someone starts trucking at 21, they are finished medically by 55 or so. But if you had a relatively easy life plysically and feel strong, then go for it. You will find that age is just a attitude. We have people in the 90's still driving 18 wheelers and flying private planes in Arkansas here and there. I can only hope that if I hit that age I would not be in the way like most would.

Today's big rigs have absolutely gotten really palaces on airride. None of that old iron with steel interiors and silly things like no heat and steel spring suspension. You will find a world of computer nannies in that 18 wheeler either HOS related or company imposed limitations on your ability to be a captain of your own ship as it were.

LGarrison Thanks this.
  10. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I retired from a 30 year career at 52 and tried the retirement thing for a while. Got bored and decided at 55 I was going to get my CDL and start my own trucking company. Loving it.

By the way, the average age of US truck drivers is 57.

NightWind, Zer0chick and lovesthedrive Thank this.
  11. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    You're not to old. Ignore those idiots and do what you want to. That's what I did almost 39 years ago when there weren't many women truckers.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.