Too old to start..

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Banker786, Jan 18, 2019.

1. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    I hate that too :/
    It’s so hard to tell these days. I’ll be talking to a driver my age, thinking he may share words of wisdom. Only to find out he just started driving 2 months ago.

All drivers have something to share. But let’s face it, the bookshelves are pretty bare the first couple of years. And they all have the same books.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    I was a victim of age discrimination at age 44. Never complained about it to anyone. Just took my toys, and left.

Trucking has never done me that way, as I aged. But at 25? OMFG you would have thought I was offering to kill someone when I got out at a truckstop.

Trucking is the one industry that still respects the older employees. Let’s hope that last.

4. Zer0chick

Zer0chick Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2018
    USA
    I’m training a 55 yo driver right now.

5. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    My condolences.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yeah, to him. How can he concentrate on the job?

lovesthedrive, JoeyJunk and Lepton1 Thank this.
  7. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    Yeah,I read that too,although it was quite awhile ago.The article said it was 17yrs under the national average and the lowest out of any industry.#1cause of death was heart disease from being sedentary and bad eating habits.I drove 35yrs before getting hurt. I'm now 61 lost 75lbs and I'm ready to hit the streets.Go for it.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  8. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    God bless you.

9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’m 54 and too Young to quit. I had a friend that worked till He was 83. No one would hire Him after that age. Despite having type 2 diabetes for many years, He also kept a good diet. Always full of surprises, One day He says, “ I had the first open heart surgery performed by U of M to repair a hole in my heart when I was 27 yrs old “ .

10. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Dang, I am 60 and I can not remember where I parked the truck. Really those are just numbers and some aged folks can and will keep up. Just get your health in line before setting off, figure out how you are going to nourish your body while out on the road because if you stick with what is called food out there you are going to be hurting.

lovesthedrive and Lepton1 Thank this.
  11. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    You will find, many companies would rather hire an oldtimer like us than a millenial. Most of us have our minds set straight about work. These millenials seem to think that if something isnt right, leave it there, some one else will deal with it. While those in my generation will see it as, can we do something about it, well that wasnt so bad, that was fun, I am glad we tried.

Diesel Dave, pmdriver and Tombstone69 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.