Too stale to train

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by MericanMade, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Some companies want a refresher course after 90 days and then it varies after that. Some, the only requirement is a couple trips with an experienced driver.

Sirscrapntruckalot, 201 and rachi Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    In 2013 I left trucking for 18 months and then went back with a company that drug tested me and then gave me the keys to a truck, didn't even make me do a test drive.

Sirscrapntruckalot and Chinatown Thank this.
  4. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Not sure of any time cutoff, to keep a CDL.I Would Keep a good driving record and pay for my Own Medical Card every 2 years and keep getting it attached to your CDL, No matter if you Don't drive for years,but keep it renewed etc. I kept my CDL going for 8 years of not driving.JMO

rachi Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    One guy posted this week he's kept his cdl active for 20 yrs. and hasn't driven yet.
    So, that's good advice; keep your medical card up to date.

BUMBACLADWAR Thanks this.
  6. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    If your state allows it. I would NOT keep a medical card. I would do that interstate thing and drop the medical card. You can keep the CDL at that time unlimited. In Virginia, this is having a (K) restriction! I have been told that some states like New York are forcing a CDL holder to do some additional steps. I mean getting a physical should not be difficult. But why do it if all you need is the (K) restriction!

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    One reason to keep it is because as we age, there may be some underlying medical condition that occurs that would disqualify the driver. The condition may not be noticed until a physical is preformed.

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  8. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Think about what you just said. There is a world of difference between a DOT physical which is nothing but a check AND a full workup with labs etc that EVERYBODY should be getting. I did not say don't get a physical, I said I would not worry about having a DOT physical.

In my case up till I retired my family doc also did my DOT physicals. If you can do this, then, by all means, that's the best. I just don't see the purpose of wasting the money to see a medical examiner every year or so.

9. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Out here in Cali you don't have to keep your Dot medical up to date if you dont plan on driving class A. Then if you do go back to driving all you gotta do is go get your Dot physical and then take it to dmv to get it certified and then your good to go. One exception is if yor cdl is coming up for renewal then you will then have to get the physical if ya wanna keep the cdl.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Pensacola, FL - storm puts huge barge between two homes.
    [​IMG]

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.