Too stale to train

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by MericanMade, Sep 20, 2020.

1. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    If a lease operator is grossing $120,000, he's in deep trouble.

MericanMade Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Team linehaul.

Redtwin and MericanMade Thank this.
  4. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I prefer growth stocks also. But the div paying, boring stocks usually win in the long term. Compounding interest.

Its good to have both.

5. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

The trash guys here are on the sandbar are similar. Easy gig. All their work is done from the truck cab. No getting out, or touching trash. Push some levers, push another, move to next can. They do start early, but they also finish up early.

Can't speak for the OP an his hurricanes...but it happens here. Hatteras will get rocked, meanwhile Nags Head will see some flooding and someone will lose siding. When Sandy passed through the sound side of the sandbar got wrecked. Ocean side...hardly any damage, flooding, etc. Same with Ocracoke last year. They got hit so hard it took them almost a year to rebuild and re-open. Meanwhile...Hatteras got flooding, an slight damage to some buildings. Road got washed out but that happens with any big storm not just hurricanes/tropical storms.

Another example would be the tropical storm/hurricane we had earlier this year...where I was in Nags Head got very little rain. Kitty Hawk 15 miles up the road got drenched.

Mother Nature can be weird. Just look at tornadoes. 3 houses can get destroyed out of a row of 5. Other two don't even get touched.

I've learned living here on a sandbar....mother nature does what she wants, where she wants, when she wants. There is no explaining her actions.

To the OP - Good luck, whenever/if you decide to do the driving thing.

Sirscrapntruckalot - We don't like Jim Cantore here. Seriously. They really don't like him down around Hatteras.

MericanMade and Chinatown Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I live in the desert; no hurricanes or forest fires. I'm on high ground, so no flooding; very little rainfall in the desert.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  7. Sirscrapntruckalot

Lived in one myself, right next to you in AZ. ;)

An we did have a wildfire.

Mt. Lemmon. Back in...2003 I think.

One of my favorite memories living in Tucson is when one of neighbors came running through the common area of our apartments banging on door and warning people about the hurricane coming our way. It makes me laugh every time I think about it.

Crazy Neighbor - "A hurricane is coming man! We gotta board everything up, get the cars to high ground. Stock up on food and stuff. It's a hurricane! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!"

Me - "err...You know, 1. We're in the middle of a valley, surrounded by mountains. 2. It's a desert. No need to worry about storm surge. 3. It may tain, and get a tad windy, but not you know...hurricane force winds..4. It's in the gulf Mexico and has to cross over a massive area with no water, which is a big part of what gives a hurricane it's strength.."

Crazy guy again " Dude...it's a hurricane! It's coming here"

Me - "Your an idiot. I'm going to get more beer.".

Other than a dust devil, and sand storms, yea.. that area of the sw is pretty calm.

Sirscrapntruckalot -
    [​IMG]

Chinatown and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  8. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Hurricanes cant even reach Austin from the gulf. Lol

Sirscrapntruckalot Thanks this.
  9. Sirscrapntruckalot

Pretty sure he was a few beers shy of a 6 pack in his head. Either way...It gave me a good laugh. Especially considering where I call home now.

I wonder if his village ever found him...

Sirscrapntruckalot -
    [​IMG]

10. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    What kind of shoulder surgery did you have? I just had rotator cuff surgery on August 24th, and realistically, I probably won't be back to work until December. Six weeks in a sling, and then lots of rehab. The shoulder is a complex joint, and the surgery (at least mine) takes 4-6 months to properly heal from.

11. MericanMade

MericanMade Heavy Load Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Pensacola, FL
    I’ll have the surgery in late November. I have a torn labrum, partial tears in the rotator cuff, bone spurs on the underside of my acromion, and bursitis. Twenty-five years of holding a cordless driver overhead screwing 3” screws into walls studs has taken its toll. My left shoulder is not as bad, but it needs some work, too.

My orthopedic surgeon says 5 weeks in a sling, and three months of rehab.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.