Top bunk, don't do it, ever!!!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by darinmac38, May 27, 2019.

1. darinmac38

darinmac38 Light Load Member

Feb 2, 2019
    As I head into my 6th weeks of the most brutal enduring conquest of my life, I am here to offer a fair warning to other would be trainees out there. If your trainer asks, suggests, or demands you sleep on a top bunk of a moving tractor trailer, walk off, on the spot. Don't even give him a response. Just take your bags and leave. They know what goes on up there and they simply do not care for you as a basic human being.

I drive 11 hours, stopping only once at a fuel pull through for exactly thirty minutes. I put in a full 14 to 16 hours doing something day related and get woken up during my sleeping hours to deal with customers. But what is worst of all? During my ten hour break, I am tossed around on the top bunk in a manor that is capable of breaking bones, snapping a neck, severing a liver or worse if we crashed. Hard blows a heavy weight prize fighter might whimper at having to take. There's, no rest, no escaping it, NO RELIEF. You will not look forward to your ten hour "break" and getting some much needed rest. Instead you will be thrown around in a coffin sized upper bunK like a cheap dime store rag dolll found left alone on the back shelf. The top bunk is for stationary truck sleeping only.

A trainer has been at his game for a while and he knows this. If he does's want a trainee on his bottom bunk? THE F-ER SHOULD NOT HAVE BECOME A TRAINER IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!

Remember this newbies out there. I can drive the truck, I am ready for my own truck, I know the job and am #### good at it already. Still have to learn but I am ready. What is gonna prevent me from achieving my goal and dreams? The top bunk and the top bunk only.

SAY NO TO THE TOP BUNK!!!!!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That's Roight. No top bunk when moving. People have died or worse when thrown through the cab from top bunk on bad bridges that pitch the rig forward roughly onto the suspension etc.

Say no to the top bunk. You can use it when SITTING STILL PARKED. Never moving.

I have quit companies before if they failed to issue me a solo tractor when my trainer demands I sleep up top while moving. No sorry, aint happening. Lesson number four in trucking school No one in top bunk when moving. period.

Keep 500 dollars ready to go and a valid credit card big enough to rental car or fly home etc. That way anywhere any time there is a problem with your trainer or company refusing, you can go home on your own coin.

And you wonder why trucking companies cry for drivers in the so called shortage. All they need to do is learn common sense. No one up top when moving period.

mhyn and darinmac38 Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Your trainer is an idiot. There's no way go rest on the top bunk when the truck is moving.

5. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    What company? Spread the word!

6. darinmac38

darinmac38 Light Load Member

Feb 2, 2019
    It's one of the mega companies. I need this job, not naming names. Not yet anyhow. I will if I have to. And keep in mind, it's the trainer, not so much the company. I'm sure the company would not stand for it.

7. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Isn't there a restraint outfitted to the top bunk ? My memorie's a little foggy

8. SoCalRed

SoCalRed Medium Load Member

Feb 7, 2017
    CA
    "What happens in the top bunk stays in the top bunk"
    Seriously no one should be sleeping in the top bunk when the truck is moving.

9. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    and then you have c.r. England that have THREE BUNK TRUCKS...
    trainer gets the lower bunk, trainee #1 gets the BACK upper bunk... trainee #2 get the FORNT upper bunk...

Scooter Jones Thanks this.
  10. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Exactly.

§393.76(h) Occupant restraint. A motor vehicle manufactured on or after July 1, 1971, and equipped with a sleeper berth must be equipped with a means of preventing ejection of the occupant of the sleeper berth during deceleration of the vehicle. The restraint system must be designed, installed, and maintained to withstand a minimum total force of 6,000 pounds applied toward the front of the vehicle and parallel to the longitudinal axis of the vehicle.

In other words, if that top bunk does NOT have occupant restraints, it is NOT legal to use while the truck is in motion.

11. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    I do not no the op.
    I wiill probably never meet the op.
    I have no like or dislike for the OP.
    Having said all that, to the op i say. Waaah waaah waaah. MAN THE "F" UP!
    It's been 6 weeks it's almost over you didnt die. It ain't that bad, and stop being a girl. Put in your time pay your dues and be on your way.

bryan21384, starmac, J.S. and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.