Top bunk weight limits

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by shandala, Aug 13, 2015.

1. shandala

shandala Light Load Member

May 7, 2014
    somewhere usa
    Just curious we are buying a 2015 volvo 670 not a choice we would have picked but that's a whole other story. The weight limit on the top bunk is 250, without all the rude comments and childish remarks of "lose weight" has anyone reinforced their top bunk and if so how did you do it. My husband exceeds the 250 mark and I have stage 4 arthritis in my knees so he doesn't want me climbing up there. (Anyone that has a volvo know how high up it is and I'm 5'4) has anyone beefed up their bunk???

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BeanDip

BeanDip Medium Load Member

Dec 28, 2014
    S.W Michigan
    I realize this is not an answer..... But it's killing me.....
    Why not both sleep in the bottom bunk? Is sleeping in the top bunk while the truck is in motion safe?

4. purpleprime

purpleprime Medium Load Member

May 30, 2013
    spickard, mo
    I'm sure she means while they are stopped it is often uncomfortable to sleep 2 people in a twin size bed

Aamcotrans, Puppage, Big Don and 2 others Thank this.
  5. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Why not both sleep in the bottom bunk? Is sleeping in the top bunk while the truck is in motion safe?[/QUOTE]
    Its not only unsafe but I think illegal.But one of them may not drive.

Big Don Thanks this.
  6. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    I know a guy that's 350 lb and sleeps in the top bunk. They dont design these things to fail right at 250.

7. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    Can't give you a maximum weight .. perhaps your owners manual will. When I'm solo, I use it as a shelf for storage, the safety net holds it in.. There's at least 250 pounds.. when I have a trainee on board, they sleep on the top bunk with some of their gear, another 250 plus.. plywood may help if you think it's needed..

Note : I'm not in a volvo

8. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    How many times aday do you climb in and out of the trk?Does that affect your arthritis?I would at least try the top bunk before thinking its unsafe.I see the photo of you and your husband,you're a tiny pitete little lady or see if you can make the buttom bunk to accommodate the both of you.

9. shandala

May 7, 2014
    somewhere usa
    We don't sleep while the truck is in motion at all, the bottom bunk is not even the width of a twin size mattress, it's very narrow and we are not team driving. He is the driver .I don't know why they made the bunks so narrow in the 670's but literally my husband's shoulders are broader than the bunk.

Big Don and BeanDip Thank this.
  10. shandala

May 7, 2014
    somewhere usa
    Lol bless you for saying that however there is nothing petite other than my height my husband and I are both plus size people.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.